Hamburger Mary’s to bring punk back to Long Beach

The phrase “punk is dead” could not be further from the truth this Saturday as Hamburger Mary’s Bar & Grille will host a hard-core show, thanks to a local punk enthusiast.

The 18 and over gig features emerging power violence band ACxDC and includes hard-core bands Plagues, Tension, This Place is a Zoo, Short Temper, and Spreading Evictions. The event is being produced by Long Beach resident Cory Gerhardt.

“I know a lot of kids here in Long Beach who can’t go up to [Los Angeles] or Orange County to see ACxDC,” Gerhardt said. “In their hometown for six bucks, you can’t beat that.”

The most anticipated performance this weekend is that of ACxDC. The band has a large and loyal fan base that keeps growing.

“It’s the power of the internet,” he said.

ACxDC vocalist Sergio Amalfitano said he is surprised by the amount of support the band sees at their shows, due to the fact that they only have one record when they started.

For ACxDC, what began as a form of recreation ultimately became something bigger.

“You always start punk because you wanna have fun and scream about the issues you feel passionately about,” Amalfitano said. “It’s always nice to have people sing along with you and tell you that it means something to them.”

Plagues vocalist Leo Atreides said it’s easy to see why there is so much hype for ACxDC.

“I’m thrilled for ACxDC and all the stuff that they’ve been doing and all the attention that they’ve been getting,” he said. “They deserve it. They’re one of those bands out there that put in the effort, and now they’re reaping the benefits of it.”

Plagues, who hails from Orange County, is described by Atreides as a band that amalgamates hard-core, power violence and punk rock. The band recently started recording in February and plans to release their EP “Perfect State” through Glory Kid Records this summer.

“We’ll be releasing a song here and there,” Atreides said. “We’ll at least be releasing one song fairly soon.”

For Gerhardt, the city’s music scene has been in dire trouble since The Vault closed down a few years ago. Gerhardt hopes that the show at Hamburger Mary’s will reawaken Long Beach’s dormant punk scene.

“I know other promoters who do indie, hip hop, but I don’t know any promoters doing punk rock here in Long Beach,” he said. “Since The Vault died, everyone stopped, so I’m trying to bring it back.”

Amalfitano said that following the show at Hamburger Mary’s, ACxDC’s plans include a tour that kicks off July 12.

“We’re gonna be doing our first West Coast tour all the way to the northwest and Canada,” he said. “Then we’re coming back and playing the Sound and Fury Festival.”

Meanwhile, Gerhardt is determined to keep punk rock above water in Long Beach.

“I love the scene, and I’m not prepared to see it go,” Gerhardt said.

Admission to the show is $6 and starts at 8 p.m. The event takes place at Hamburger Mary’s 740 E. Broadway in Long Beach.