India House talks music, future plans

Newly formed Long Beach garage-rock band India House is composed of Cal State Long Beach students Sam Fiore (bass), Rain Gregorio (guitar and vocals), Mike Welly (drums) and Trevor Torres (guitar and violin). All 21 and under, they recently recorded their first EP in their newly renovated basement space throughout the summer and say they hope to release it sometime this September.
India House’s single “If You Make It” is posted on their Facebook and will be featured on the new EP.
The Daily 49er sat down to chat with the band after Saturday’s practice.

Q: When did the band form?

Rain Gregorio: Mike and I played in a band together in high school. Once we went to college, we decided to start something new. Last March is when we all started jamming together. After we formed the band, we played a lot of local shows and started going to LA and performed at house parties. During the summer, we took a two-month break to write and record our EP and make sure we do everything from the ground up correctly.

Sam Fiore: We’ve been playing together for about five months. We’ve written eight original songs so far.

Q: What venues have you performed at?

Mike Welly: Our first show was at the Whisky A Go-Go in Hollywood.
RG: We also play house parties in Long Beach and at a few venues in Southern California.

Q: What genre of music would you consider India House to be?

RG: I think we are just fun music that people want to dance to, I hope.
SF: Like good-vibe rock n’ roll.
Trevor Torres: I feel like we don’t fit the category of garage rock exactly. Every song we write is pushing toward a new genre.

Q: Who are your musical influences?

RG: Cool new bands that I’ve been recently influenced by are Hella, Diiv and bands from the Denver area.
SF: We all dig these different genres and then we take the parts that we like from each one and bring it to the table.

Q: What can you tell me about your new EP?

RG: Throughout the summer, we wrote about three or four songs and we have spent a lot of time recording. This first EP is more for ourselves to see how we want to develop our sound.

Q: How did you come up with your name?

RG: Originally, our band name was The White Russians. We took a trip to New Orleans and the hostel we were staying at was called The India House Backpacking Hostel. When we got back, we decided the name India House was better than our old name.

Q: Are you still playing at Smorgasport?

RG: What happened was, I am in ASI, and they told me, ‘Yeah, you guys are totally set to play,’ and we were down and then they were like, ‘Wait, we kind of only want DJs’ … I know we can be like super f–n awesome at Smorgasport and make everyone have a good time.
SF: What is frustrating is that Smorgasport is like a three-hour event, and we would play for only 45 minutes … at least you can rebuild the bummer of cancelling a show and play the next show ever better.

Q: What do you guys hope to accomplish in the future?

TT: Starting next semester, we are all going to be 21. I hope we can just blow up in the L.A. scene, playing at bars and more venues.
RG: Our long-term goal is to make really good music, spend time writing more songs and gain more ground in our home turf.
SF: We will definitely have more shows coming up at diPiazza’s, The Gaslamp and Alex’s Bar in Long Beach.

Check out their Facebook page  for more information regarding new releases and performances.