The Greenery garners a following over the years

Although the internet is a powerful outlet, local bands still struggle to gain a following in their communities, let alone overseas with the added factor of the language barrier.
Long Beach-based band The Greenery has managed to make a mark both here and overseas in Europe since they formed in 2007. The band consists of Matt Lanners (vocals), Derek Thomas (guitar), Zack Smith (drums), Dan Mayo (guitar) and Joh Alaimo (bass).
They have released two full albums within their seven years as a band, and   they toured Europe in Febuary last year. Their live shows tend to thrive on audience interaction, breaking down barriers between the stage and the audience and encouraging fans to get wild and sing along.
The band recently released their second album, “It’s Looking Grim.” Smith said they took their time throughout the writing process, creating a darker and louder sound.
The Greenery said much of their fanbase comes from Long Beach, making the setting more like a party of friends than an average concert.
The Daily 49er spoke with two of the band members, Smith on the mic and Mayo on lead guitar.

Q: How did The Greenery form?

Zack Smith: A few of us went to high school together, and we decided to start a band for fun. Over the course of time, we enjoyed doing it more and more … We decided to take it more seriously after high school, and it’s progressed to where we are now.

Q: Are you all Long Beach natives?

ZS: A few of us are [from] Long Beach, but one of our guitarists is from Texas and he moved from there to California to join our band. Our bass player lives in Rancho Cucamonga, [Calif.]

Q: So, how did you all meet?

ZS: Mutual friends of music. Friends through music, so mutual friends, slash music.
Dan Mayo: I was playing in a different band before this, and the genre was not the same at all. Zack was playing in a different band as well and we kind of met up through friends, and hanging out a lot more. We split ways from those bands and joined The Greenery.

Q: How did you guys choose the name?

ZS: It kind of doesn’t mean anything. When we started the band, it was a moment when every band name has s–t like “blood” and “death” in the name, and we just thought that was kind of stupid, so we kind of wanted to do the opposite of that. Like what’s a good metal band name?
DM: Dying fetus.
ZS: You have a band like Dying Fetus, and you know exactly what you’re getting with that. I just think it’s so cheesy and lame, so we decided The Greenery is pretty and kind of satirical.
DM: You can’t really judge it by its name. You can’t really tell what genre it is.

Q: When did you guys realize you had a following?

ZS: It was pretty short after the first few started. It started off with your group of friends, but then they all brought an extra friend so it doubled in size and so on. All of a sudden, we’re playing shows, and there are people we don’t recognize. It’s kind of when it clicked on, and we realized we were doing something kind of cool.

Q: How would you describe your sound?

DM: If you like beer, skateboarding and hanging out, that’s kind of what it’s all about. That’s the easiest way [to describe our sound.] It’s kind of punk, a little hardcore, and trash and some metal.
ZS: You say punk and hardcore and people assume you sound like [a certain] band. You say metal, thrash and people think [of another band,] and it’s just a combination of everything. When you say beer, pizza and skateboarding, people think, “Oh, that’s fun.”

Q: Who are your greatest influences?

ZS: As a band, we love Pantera, Metallica, Misfits, Minor Threat — anywhere from your basic rock to extreme metal. When it comes to individual members, everyone varies pretty heavy, but when we get together that’s all that matters because we bring all of our inside influences in to make whatever product we make.

Q: Since Long Beach is your hometown, what is your favorite venue to play at?

ZS: Well, when it comes to Long Beach, we love diPiazza’s. Before any of us started in The Greenery, we were playing there when we were all 14 to 15 years old in whatever crappy garage band we were in that week, so he’s always been family for us.
Q: What is your favorite part of playing live shows?

DM: Just being with best friends and sharing that moment and complete strangers. You can’t really beat that feeling. I don’t think there’s ever been a show we don’t get excited for. Once the adrenaline rush goes away, you’re doing something wrong.
ZS: It’s a good way to make new friends and have fun with old ones.

Q: Since you have been around for quite some time, what’s been the most memorable ‘pinch me’ moment?

DM: The first day of Europe. During the first song [in Germany], kids knew the lyrics. I know a lot of them speak English, but it’s not their first language over there, and we’ve never been over there before … having all these kids into it; it almost brought me to tears. [Our music] got all the way over there, it was a great feeling for all of us, for sure.
ZS: It’s an overwhelming feeling, something that just started off a childhood dream becomes an insane reality.

Q: What should people expect when going to see you live for the first time?

ZS: Expect a high five — or don’t. Just come out and have fun.
DM: Well, there’s always a parking lot party.

For more information on shows and releases, visit The Greenery’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/TheGreeneryCA.