New music this week: Best Coast’s “Fade Away”

“I don’t know how to tell you it’s right, when it feels so wrong,” Best Coast lead singer Bethany Cosentino sings on the band’s new EP titled “Fade Away.”

Set to hit shelves tomorrow, “Fade Away” is a musical hybrid of Best Coast’s two previous albums “Crazy For You” and “The Only Place.”

Balancing distorted, surf rock-inspired guitars and powerful, angst-filled lyrics, “Fade Away” showcases a band that has matured in more ways than one.

Although the album only features seven songs, the punch carried by songs like “I Don’t Know How” makes up for the shortfall.

Featuring a conflicted Cosentino, who has trouble expressing how she really feels, “I Don’t Know How” highlights the band’s ability to expand on its previous work.

Before “Fade Away,” Best Coast struggled with critics who complained that every song sounded the same.

Blending wistful melodies and insightful lyrics, Best Coast has established itself as the forerunner among a group of surf-rock wannabes.

Fans of a softer sound may find solace in “Baby, I’m Crying.”

“Maybe one day you’ll be the one,” Cosentino croons on the penultimate track. “But until then, baby, I’m crying.”

Through the variety of tracks offered on on the mini-album, it’s clear that Best Coast has expanded its signature sound.

Out are the seemingly inaudible, reverb-filled tracks and in are finely-tuned masterpieces.

In a way, Cosentino has become the voice of a generation.

As someone who is not afraid to write about personal, intimate events in her life, Cosentino has cemented herself as one of the most popular and insightful lyricists of the indie rock genre.

With “Fade Away,” Best Coast has given fans a brief appetizer until their fourth album is released next year. In the meantime, fans will undoubtedly enjoy “Fade Away” and all of its gems.