‘ReguL8ing’ the Long Beach Music Scene

Under the name of DJ ReguL8, Cal State Long Beach alumnus Edward Saldana has been an inspiration to aspiring local DJs.

During his time at CSULB, Saldana said he frequently switched majors from being undeclared to exploring journalism and business marketing, until he finally settled into studying communications. Saldana said this exploration helped him realize what he really wanted to do with his life.

Saldana said his first love was working in the radio industry, and that he later came to love producing.

Saldana said he caught his big break during his last year at CSULB in 2010 and in a matter of three years, he is now one of Long Beach’s most popular DJs.

“It’s about the music,” Saldana said. “I’m blessed to have the talent to express myself through music. Until I can no longer do that, I will be spinning and scratching records.”
Although Saldana has only been a DJ for three years, he has been playing music since he was 8 years old.

He grew up playing the saxophone, piano, guitar, drums and trumpet. With the help of former KIIS FM DJ LoveMachine, he also added turntables to his instrumental knowledge.

“I’m a late bloomer in the DJ life, but it came so natural to me,” Saldana said. “DJ-ing came as nothing more than a day off at my best friend’s garage.”

Even though Saldana found his passion in turntables, he still had to work hard for his place in the spotlight. It took him three DJ battles — placing third, second and finally first — to land his first gig.

Saldana said he spins almost every day, booking gigs in San Diego, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas and Arizona. He said he will be touring for the next six months in seven different states.

“I want to leave personally satisfied … if I was able to bring my absolute best and if everyone had a great time dancing, then I’d leave a happy man,” Saldana said.

Saldana said he stays loyal to his roots and is well known in the Long Beach music scene. He DJs every week at Panama Joes on Second Street to help coach other aspiring DJs. He said he uses these events to encourage others to bring creativity, originality and energy to the industry.

“I’ve discovered other talented DJs and have come to realize that the DJ community is a large, strong group,” Saldana said. “We have to look out for one another and at the end of the day, it’s about the joy music brings.”

Saldana puts together his monthly DJ Battle at Cuban Pete’s Mojito Lounge in downtown Long Beach. For further information, visit: www.facebook.com/DJRegul8.