Arts & Life, Music

Making The Moderates

They thrive off of chips and salsa, Fiber One bars and making music.
Cal State Long Beach freshman film major Josh Taylor (vocals and guitar), sophomore communications major Wes Mathison (bass) and Hollywood’s Musicians Institute student Garret Huff (drums) have been friends since before their voices deepened.
Their band, originally called “You,” formed in 2009 and became “The Moderates” in 2011. They say that they define their own genre and sound, which have been solidified in their first album, “Colour,” released on Aug. 6. To make sure their fans were well-equipped with the lyrics and the groove, they played their celebratory release show almost two months later — Sunday night at diPiazza’s — alongside four other bands, including the local Hearts Like Lions.
“I wish I could live in this moment forever,” said Taylor, who was stoked to see the crowd singing along as the band played fan favorites, including “Where Are You,” a heart-wrenching jam that magnetically drew the female fans to the front of the small yet enthusiastic crowd.
Before the show, The Moderates stepped outside the colorful, friend-filled venue to have a word with the Daily 49er.

What type of genre would you guys say you are?
Garret Huff:
Alternative indie rock. I’d dub it art rock. Just ‘cause.

Do you remember the starting moment of the band?
Wes Mathison: Well, Garret [Huff] and I were both on the wrestling team … so one day I go over to his house, and he had a drum set, and I’m like, “Oh no way you have a drum set? That’s so cool. I play guitar!” Then we started jamming together, and we sucked. And it was great. And we just rocked out, and I was like, “Hey, I have a buddy, Josh [Taylor], who plays guitar. Let’s bring him into the mix.” So Josh started jamming with us, and we’re just kinda like, “Let’s start a band.”
Josh Taylor: And then we kicked Wes [Mathison] off guitar and forced him to play bass.

Why did you name yourselves The Moderates?
GH: We were struggling for weeks coming up with a new band name. I was just looking at a thesaurus, and the word “moderates” came up … It’s like in the middle, not extreme one way, not extreme the other way, and I thought that would be good for us because … we all kinda have different points of view, but we all find a middle ground and work together. So we all find a moderate playing field, so we can all get along and make some music.

Do you think that you could ever do this for a living?
GH: That’s what the goal is, anyway.
JT: I think we’re starting to get there at this point. Most of the cover charge [for this show] went to us. Some also went to diPiazza’s. Playing shows is our main source of income and also selling all of our wonderful [merchandise].

Where do the influences for your songs come from?
WM: Josh [Taylor] writes it … but then we all come together and collaborate on it. Our styles of the music and how we were brought up playing music is very different. [Huff] taught himself drums, Josh [Taylor] has classical piano training … and I taught myself bass … so when we all come together … because of the kind of musicians that we are, the way we play it and the way it comes out doesn’t fit into any genre, and that’s why we have such an obscure genre.
JT: A lot of it comes from different places. Sometimes I’ll write about my family, or sometimes I’ll write about God and my beliefs … sometimes I’ll write about something random or sometimes just because it sounds good.
GH: Like listening to the lyrics [of “Where Are You”] and the way it’s written and recorded, it sounds like [Taylor was in] a really depressive state of mind, like “where are you? You left me, and life sucks.” But then you talk to Josh [Taylor] and he’s like, “Eh, it sounded good, so I did it.”

What are your favorite bands?
JT: I grew up on two albums that I just always listened to. One of them was Relient K’s “Two Lefts Don’t Make A Right But Three Do,” and Switchfoot’s “Beautiful Letdown.” That introduced me to rock music.
WM: Relient K, that was the band that inspired me to play music, so I owe them one.

Are you nervous for the show?
JT: Yeah, I think that’s what makes it so fun. When you stop having those nerves, it’s like what’s the point? I mean, it diminishes each time you play a show. We’re each very comfortable with our music and each other on stage, so we can improve very well.

What type of experience do you want your fans to get at your shows?
GH: High energy, like they can get to know us personally.
WM: It’s not only having good music, but when they walk away, they want to tell their friends about it. They see us play and say, “That was amazing,” and that’s what makes it spread, when you’re truly excited about something, that’s when you’re gonna share with people.
JT: I want people to sing the chorus of our last song on the way out.

Besides playing music, how would you describe your everyday life?
JT: Chips and salsa. And Fiber One bars.
GH: Billiards. But not playing billiards properly. We make our own rules.
WM: We’re all just really good friends, and we hang out regardless of playing music … and get into shenanigans.

Any big plans coming up soon?
JT: We’re writing [the next single] right now. It should come out in a couple months. It takes a couple months to do pre-production and record.

Any advice you guys would give to aspiring bands?
GH. I’d say honestly right from the heart: practice, practice, practice.
WM: You have to get good at your instrument individually and good with the band, too.
GH: Expect people are gonna screw you over. Keep going. There’s a good quote from Winston Churchill: “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”

“Colour” as well as custom merchandise from the band can be found at themoderates.storenvy.com/.