“Delivery Man” fails to deliver

Vince Vaughn is well known as a lovable comic in most of his films, but his role in DreamWork’s new feel-good comedy “Delivery Man” doesn’t deliver.

Starring as David Wozniak in “Delivery Man,” Vince Vaughn’s role as an underachiever who searches to find his purpose in life and desire to become a guardian angel for hundreds of children makes him a likeable lead character.

Wozniak, who works for his family’s meat packing business, is known for being unreliable. Until one day, when he gets a huge wake up call and finds out that he is the biological father of 533 children from sperm donations he made 20 years ago.

In “Delivery Man,” everything in Wozniak life becomes chaotic, as he deals with anything from his extreme debt problems as a result of a lawsuit from 142 of his biological children to the pregnancy of his current girlfriend.

He begins investigating the lives of his children and finds that he is instinctively inclined to act as a father to them. He is forced to choose whether to reveal his identity as “Starbuck” to the people close to him and the rest of society.

Although the story is based off of a popular foreign comedy, “Delivery Man” is less of a comedy than it is a drama.

Wozniak’s transition to parenting made the audience feel compassion for his character, as the theater echoed with laments rather than laughs.

There were only a few comedic moments for Wozniak throughout the movie: his best friend defending him in court with a revoked lawyer’s license and the awkward moments with his children.

DreamWorks’ “Delivery Man” is merely a remake of the Canadian comedy, “Starbuck.” Almost every aspect in the movie is an exact replica of the Canadian version, making it rather unoriginal.

The remake seems to be a waste of a movie and role for DreamWorks and Vaughn, respectively. Instead of making the character his own, Vaughn is a clone of the original “Starbuck” character and copies his every action throughout the film.

Vaughn seemed to be held back in his role as Wozniak, although he did the best he could with the role.

“Delivery Man” was not one of Vaughn’s best works. His previous movies, however, such as “Old School,” “Swingers,” and “Wedding Crashers,” have shined the comedic spotlight on Vaughn time and time again.

He should have left “The Internship” as his comedic comeback from “Wedding Crashers,” rather than leaving his latest impression with “Delivery Man.”

It is an average, single-view movie that is definitely not going to become a classic.