Arts & Life, Music

“Foreverly” remembers Everly brothers

If someone mentions rock ‘n’ roll blues duo The Everly Brothers, chances are many won’t recognize the moniker.

Jazz vocalist Norah Jones and Green Day’s front man Billie Joe Armstrong, however, will change this with their release of “Foreverly,” a rerecording of The Everly Brother’s LP, “Songs Our Daddy Taught Us.”

When musicians cover songs or albums, the daunting task is to completely refashion the music by adding the musician’s unique style without tarnishing the original version.

With “Foreverly,” Jones and Armstrong change lyrics and add some of their own, but stray from radically altering the musical aspect of the original songs by simply recreating the tracks with a punchier, rounder, more layered edge for its new generation of listeners.

Harmonies are on point, which helps captivate the bluesy feel to the original album. Some songs, such as “Roving Gambler,” have also sped up the tempo to create a livelier version.

Collaborating Jones to the mix also adds a fresh perspective to classic songs like “Roving Gambler,” “Long Time Gone” and “I’m Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail.”

Jones’ Texan drawl is perfect for a songs like “I’m Here To Get My Baby Out of Jail.” The track focuses solely on Jones’ soulful vocals, while Armstrong croons in during the chorus. Jones’ passionate vocals flourish in the forefront while a simple percussion beat and subtle acoustic guitar riff instrumental is heard in the background.

Music fans with diverse tastes and a penchant for rock ‘n’ roll blues are sure to enjoy Armstrong and Jones’ homage to the classic duo.
“Foreverly” is available for immediate download on iTunes.