‘Catching Fire’ burnin’ up the box office

Landscape visuals, award-winning acting and a powerful plotline make “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” a fan-favorite among movie ­goers.

The totalitarian world of Panem grows increasingly darker in the franchise’s much anticipated sequel, directed by Frances Lawrence.

Early in the movie, viewers re­enter the lives of Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) on their return to District 12. It is quickly obvious that the atmosphere in the district has taken a dramatic turn since the last Hunger Games, where Katniss and Peeta were able to manipulate the Capital into letting them both live. Prim, Katniss’ sister, describes the change in District 12 as “hope”, a motif that lends itself throughout the rest of the film.

Katniss’s public egalitarian displays are an increasing threat to the utopia of the state and other victors who are growing defiant to the Capital, resulting in a new Hunger Games, created by the new Gamemaster, Plutarch Heavensbee.

Under the meticulous direction of Frances Lawrence, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” has taken the franchise to a new level of cinematographic experience as it has stayed true to its science fiction genre through a careful selection of futuristic costumes, props and eye­opening backgrounds.

The audience can’t help but be moved by the cinematography. Many of the sweeping and dynamic camera movements propel the Capital’s grandness against slower, close­up shots of Katniss and Panem’s village people to effectively contrast their humanity with the Capital’s superficiality and ignorance.

Lawrence’s filming techniques strongly position the audience against the Capital, which adds power to the plot line.

Jennifer Lawrence, having recently won an Oscar for Best Actress in the film, “Silver Linings Playbook,” is captivating in her performance as Katniss. Lawrence is flawless in her portrayal of a girl that holds the weight of hope for an entire dystopian society, all while keeping her cool.

Other notable Hollywood actors include Woody Harrelson, who retains his charisma as Haymitch, a lovable drunk with poise and direction, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, who plays a calculating and ominous Gamesmaster.

“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” certainly lives up to its name by serving out drama and action by the mouthful. As in the first Hunger Games, alliances are formed and characters are constantly faced with life and death decisions. The difference lies in the alliance that takes place in the sequel, which is revealingly different than the first installment, and the twist at the end will leave viewers flabbergasted and longing for more.