Arts & Life, Music

New ballads, fresh beats: The Fray’s “Helios”

The Fray emerged once again when they released their fifth full-length album, “Helios,” via Epic Records Monday.

The band recruited British techno producer Stuart Price who has brought a more energetic sound to their music, a far cry from arguably their best-known songs “How To Save A Life” and “Over My Head (Cable Car).”

Out of the new collaboration comes a sound that has transformed into something like the offspring of Imagine dragons and AWOLNATION, with hints of Christian Rock influence.

Cliché titles like “Hold My Hand” and “Closer To Me”, while lyrics like “If I know one thing that’s true / its not what you say its what you do … a thousand years go by/ but love don’t die” in their pre-released single “Love Don’t Die” makes listeners second guess the band’s affiliation.

In 2009 guitarist Joe King told Associated Press that while the band has their roots in Christianity, they are often misconceived as a Christian band because they are “spiritual,” a subject that pervaded most interviews and appealed to somewhat of a niche demographic of listeners.

In an interview with the Huffington Post earlier this month, headman Isaac Slade referenced Brandon Flowers of the killers, who is Mormon but does not directly express his beliefs in his music.

“Whatever faith he holds, its just embodied in his songs … we try to do that,” Slade said.
To appeal to a fan base that has gravitated towards unconventional and secular music, the Fray stays in touch with their principles while packaging them in a new way.

The Fray emanates somewhat of a Rugged boyband-like vibe that shines through in some parts of “Helios,” especially in “Hurricane,” when Slade belts “She’s a hurricane/ I wanna feel her /I wanna hold her body close to me.”

While the album is still infused with tracks that remind us of high school dances and singing into hairbrushes with our childhood friends, it gradually blends ballads and strong lyricism with hints of electronic influence.

Although the lyrics are somewhat cliché and the musicality is nothing special, the album is definitely a good listen for background music during long road trips.