Arts & Life, Film & Television

The new age of ‘Late Night’

While Jimmy Fallon has moved on to bigger and better things at “The Tonight Show,” Seth Meyers steps up his game as he leaves his desk at “Weekend Update” to take Fallon’s place on “Late Night.”

Meyers first show, which aired Monday, began with an homage to previous Late Night host Jimmy Fallon. Meyers performed a “Thank You Notes” segment, which Fallon did during his time on Late Night and continues to do on The Tonight Show.

“Thank you, Jimmy Fallon, for taking over The Tonight Show at 11:30 so I could take over Late Night at 12:30,” Meyers said in the segment. “I promise to treat it with respect and dignity and to only use it to do original comedy pieces, starting now.”

It was a subtle and funny way for Meyers to distinguish himself from Fallon by completely ripping him off.

The structure of the show is not much different from other late night talk shows, as the show still features a topical monologue, skits, celebrity guests and music performances.

Meyer’s influence is most noticeable in segments that rely on topical comedy.

Segments like “This Week in Numbers,” “Next Week’s News” and a parody game show called “Fake or Florida” display Meyers in a different and unique way that echoes his roots.

Meyer’s pace and tone as host of “Late Night” is similar to that of his previous role as Weekend Update” anchor on “Saturday Night Live”, which sets the new “Late Night” apart from Fallon’s brand.

The most effective comedic techniques Meyers has utilized from “Weekend Update” on “Late Night” are his scripted interviews.

Meyers also employs actors to sit in the audience and heckle him to add to the comedy. On the second day of the new “Late Night,” acting members of the audience began to complain the show had lost its edge.

The show has also used actors like John Lutz from “30 Rock” and Tim Robinson from “SNL” to portray goofy characters Meyers invites as “guests.”

SNL alumnus Fred Armisen also joins Meyers as leader of “The 8G Band,” featuring musicians from indie-rock bands Les Savy Fav and Girls Against Boys.

After each monologue, Meyers takes a seat at his desk and questions Armisen about rumors he has heard from writers backstage. This new version of “Late Night” has already created a great running gag with those conversations.

The show is still relatively new and has room for change and growth. It would be interesting to see Meyers vibe off a sidekick or even use different kinds of comedy that explore elements out of his comfort zone.

“Late Night” with Seth Meyers airs weeknights at 12:35 a.m., immediately following “The Tonight Show.”