Arts & Life, Music

Album reviews: Pharrell Williams’ “G I R L”

Pharrell’s second solo album, “G I R L,” is a cacophony of funky electronic groove music worthy of becoming the summer album of 2014.

In his collaborative album, “Random Access Memories” with the electronic duo Daft Punk, Pharrell established a sound that felt fresh and left fans craving more.

Due to the subpar following that his production team, The Neptunes, received in 2003, and 2006’s solo misfire “In My Mind,” Pharrell went back behind the scenes and focused more on producing.

In “G I R L,” he worked with Justin Timberlake, Myley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Daft Punk, further increasing his reputation as the go-to guy for hot beats.

After peaking on the top 40 charts with “Get Lucky” and getting lucky with “Blurred Lines,” many wondered when his next solo album would be released.

The new album cannot be classified in only one way. It’s a soulful blend of pop, jazz and R&B that creates a unique sound that will have you bobbing your head before you realize it. The album is unyieldingly positive, uplifting, and has no shortage of sexual metaphors.

“G I R L” is a smooth album that creates a calm atmosphere, and for this reason, it will either please or disappoint. Those looking for high energy romps similar to Pharrel’s past projects will feel unexcited ,while others will be satisfied with the mellow groove Pharrell is gradually becoming known for.

Vocals are the standard Pharrell affair. As usual, his rhythmic melodies are strong throughout the entire album. He blends different styles of musical production to create festive symphonies the genre is lacking.

With his star-studded guest list and creative production value, “G I R L” is on track to be one of the hottest albums of 2014. This album presents a positive change in Pharrell’s solo endeavors and a welcoming change of pace to the genre.

The album was released on March 3 and is available on iTunes.