Arts & Life, Music

Preview: FYF Fest

Folks, FYF Fest is less than three weeks away, and what better way to expend all that extra energy you’ve been saving up by watching Netflix non-stop all summer long. So wipe the drool from your mouths and sleep from your eyes and join us.

Here is who the staff over at the Daily 49er is excited to see:

Amy Patton, Print Managing Editor

As the archetypal music festival virgin at the Daily 49er, the very attendance of FYF is what I most look forward to this summer. On Wednesday EventSprout emailed me to inform me that my bracelet has been shipped. I think I let out a graceful squeal and promptly sent a picture to my personal music sensei and Daily 49er Radio Producer, Jesus Ambrosio.

When purchasing my last-hurrah of the summer, artists like Morrissey, Death Grips and Andrew Jackson Jihad piqued my interest. However, after allowing Ambrosio to commandeer my old iPod, I have been supplying my ears with doses of La Femme, Thee Oh Sees and Belle & Sebastian. The excitement of seeing these bands and artists live has been building with every listen. The biggest financial splurge of my summer has provided the fuel I’ve needed to ride out this dreadfully monotonous summer.

Jesus Ambrosio, Radio Producer

I always thought I skipped the emo music phase. Don’t get me wrong, I know plenty of songs by Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance and Say Anything, but who didn’t back in their middle school days. That’s probably why it was so odd to discover Andrew Jackson Jihad during my sophomore year of high school. They were the ultimate emo band in disguise.

So how did they remain undercover? By calling their genre folk-punk of course. A perfect cover when the band primarily struts along with acoustic instruments. Also because the music is “punk,” expect the crowd to get rowdy. The lyrics are so heavy and disturbing that you will leave the show emotionally disturbed. However, beneath the darkness, every song is relatable and somehow makes you feel refreshed and extremely happy to be alive in this miserable world.

Andrew Jackson Jihad FYF set is on Aug. 23.

Kevin Flores, Diversions Editor

HEALTH will rumble and buzz saw you into oblivion with their guttural beats and nocturnal noise-rock. Their newest album “Death Magic” is a mutant-freak that pivots on the darkest aspects of Depeche Mode with one foot and grazes the bombast of sugarcoated pop with the other.

Sometimes breaking into rich, soaring melodies, HEALTH’s music still comes around to pummels listeners with a force so relentless that the sound waves bulldoze into the visual cortex of the brain, purging cinematic vignettes they’ve been too afraid to acknowledge. They are antiaircraft artillery going off in your face. They are the industrial ruckus of a haunted oilrig, grinding and banging in the middle of a pitch-black ocean. They are the sentimental gut-punch of loss. They are the labyrinthine feeling of a cherished memory being invaded by some sinister interloper. Go watch HEALTH. I dare you. I double dog dare you.

HEALTH’s FYF set is on Aug. 23.

Madison D’Ornellas, Opinions Editor

What better way to celebrate classic alternative rock at FYF this year than with a few of the godfathers of the genre, The Jesus and Mary Chain. This Scottish group of scrappy lads was and is still able to produce catchy melodies dissolved in loud, rhythmic guitars. Early sounds of the Mary Chain can remind the listener of the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. The Mary Chain was able to slice through the 1980’s electronic pop scene with a unique blend of noise and feedback on their early records. Their tough yet psychedelic sound still sticks to the ears today.

The Jesus and Mary Chain’s FYF set is on Saturday, Aug. 22.

Dates: Aug. 22 to Aug. 23
Ticket prices: $175 for a two-day general admission, $329 for two-day VIP tickets

You can pick up passes at Fingerprints Music through Sunday, cash only