Tacography of Long Beach

Diligent investigative reporting has uncovered that, as of the writing of this article, the number of taquerias in Long Beach currently stands at 47. My intentions are to review them all.

Make no mistake: This isn’t one of those wimpy best-of listicles. No readers, I will be patronizing every single taqueria in Long Beach, down to the most obscure, hole-in-the-wall, mom-and-pop sleeper I can find, reporting back to you in full technicolor detail.

The goal here is to compile a comprehensive list and ranking of every taqueria in Long Beach, the likes of which has never been done before. A list to end all lists; one that you can consult during your highest and lowest points this semester. It will be a living list, updated online throughout the semester until the job is done.

To be clear: A taqueria is defined as a Mexican restaurant specializing in tacos. Therefore, general-fare, sit-down Mexican restaurants have been omitted. It should also go without saying that the likes of Taco Bell and Del Taco are thoroughly disqualified. Taco trucks don’t make the cut either, but may be the subject of a future piece.

Now, you may be asking: How will tacos be judged? Allow me to retort. Tacos consist of three main components and thus criteria. You have the meat, the salsa and corn tortillas. Toppings, such as onions and cilantro, are optional and mostly negligible. That’s it. Forget the shredded cheese, hard shells and sour cream. These aren’t Hamburger Helper gringo-style taco night tacos. We’re talking traditional.

That said, meat will be judged on texture and how well it’s been cooked and seasoned; tortillas on freshness, pliability, and melt-in-your-mouth-ability; sauce on freshness and overall punch. As a controlled variable, I will order one asada taco at every establishment, when available. I will order a second taco of a random meat.

Other considerations will be size of tacos, price of tacos, presence of a salsa bar, and overall vibe of the place.

One final word: I have paid for every taco judged, and as a strict ethical principle, have not and will not accept free tacos while conducting these reviews, which will be done as furtively as possible.

Be sure to check out the full updated rakings of Long Beach taquerias online at www.daily49er.wpengine.com.
Taqueria La Mexicana #2
3270 E. 4th St.
Long Beach, CA 90814
Tacos: $1.10 each

Taqueria La Mexicana #2
Kevin Flores
Taqueria La Mexicana #2

The establishment itself has a great Tijuana-taco-stand aesthetic, with just enough dinginess and neon lighting for my liking. The order counter is right on the street front, and at dusk, the settling smell of exhaust somehow adds to the atmosphere of the place. After ordering, you pick up your meal around the corner of the building at a small window where you’ll find an al fresco dining patio with plastic picnic benches. You can see the grill-action from the pick-up window and tacos come out piping-hot.

Starting with the asada taco, from the first bite, I could tell the meat was slightly overcooked. After a few more bites, the prevailing flavor was the cilantro and onion, meaning the meat lacked character and was too bland. Overall, not bad to scarf down when you have a taco monster in your belly to sate, but that’s about it.

Along with the asada, I ordered a carnitas taco—the pungent slow-cooked pork was a treat for my olfactory sense as I opened the foil wrapping. The meat was succulent, full of flavor, and had just the right amount of sizzling fat. An all-around great taco.

The house salsa was cool and fresh but didn’t add much of a punch. The tortillas went wholly unnoticed as far as flavor, which isn’t a bad thing, but nothing spectacular either.

Overall, the feel of the place is memorable and transporting. If you go, be adventurous and try something other than the asada.

Tacos Chapala
3205 E. Anaheim St.
Long Beach, CA 90804
Tacos: $1.50 each

Tacos Chapala
Kevin Flores
Tacos Chapala

Located in a nondescript shopping center, this little taco joint is pretty much a kitchen with a few yellow tables. I went on a weekday night and the staff was friendly and attentive; behind the register you can see the grill and the whole taco-making process. The interior is very bright, almost headache-inducingly so.

The asada was tender and well-cooked, though a little on the bland side. The taco had a generous heap of meat and the tacos

I also ordered a cabeza—or roasted cow head—taco, which was soft, thoroughly cooked and flavorsome.

The yellow corn tortillas, while a bit heartier than the white corn tortillas, were a nice touch of authenticity that added an earthy note to the tacos.

Tacos are served with a delectable, smoky chile de arbole salsa that’s a scorcher and a tomatillo-based salsa verde that failed to leave much of an impression.

Overall, great little spot if you’re in the area, but otherwise, no need to go out of your way.

Tito’s Bakery

1107 E 4th St
Long Beach, CA 90802
Tacos: $1.50 – 1.75

Tito's Bakery
Kevin Flores
Tito’s Bakery

Easy to miss, it doesn’t get more hole-in-the-wall than this. As the name suggests, there is a Mexican bakery inside with pantries full of pan dulce. Even so, it somehow manages to also fit a counter, behind which a dedicated taquero prepares taco meat. It’s cramped but in a cozy no frills kind of way. There is very little seating, but the place seems to be more of a to-go kind of joint anyway.

I visited this place toward the end of the night, and they were out of asada to my dismay. Instead I ordered two el pastor tacos, and thought I was settling. Boy was I wrong. The meat was soft yet had a nice char to it. The rub was a bouquet of spices, and its aroma irresistible even before the first bite.

Plus points for the salsa bar, which features radishes, limes, onions, cucumbers in a tasty brine, and of course the salsas. The red chile de arbole salsa is fiery and instantly makes its presence known on your tongue. The salsa verde, not so much.

Overall, a fine little gem, and though the tacos are a little pricey, it’s worth it for the al pastor alone.

are you still publishing your taco writings? update and link plz

Janet Gonzales

Great Mex at the corner of Atherton and Bellflower is a great Taco place. They have Taco Tuesday and Friday and offer student discounts. Love their tacos! Al pastor of course!