Let’s talk about mental health

The giant swirl of stressors facing this generation of college students, from drowning pools of student debt to the overwhelming blasts of information, is driving what Psychology Today” has declared to be a “College Student Mental Health Crisis.”

Every student should be aware of the signs of mental illness and the breadth of resources California State University, Long Beach offers in case it all gets to be too much.

The campuses Counseling and Psychological Services offers crisis assistance, workshops and counseling all free of charge to enrolled undergraduate and graduate students.

One-on-one or group counseling with a psychologist is available by appointment, but if an urgent situation arises, you don’t need an appointment, just show up.

CAPS is located in Brotman Hall, Room 226, and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5p.m.

Outside of business hours, if you need to talk to someone, you can reach a counselor 24 hours a day by calling the CAPS main line: (562) 985-4001.

Therapy groups that focus on things such as women’s issues, sexual and gender diversity and interpersonal concerns meet regularly and try to foster a safe environment where sensitive issues can be discussed without judgment.

CAPS workshops discuss topics such as self-esteem, relationships and more.

Call CAPS for more information on how to join either the therapy groups or the workshops.

When it comes to your health, forget about any taboos or stigmas that may keep you from feeling better. You got to do you. So if you feel you need help or just need someone to talk things through with, hit up CAPS. You’re not alone.