Feeling a-o-cake

Greetings, Arts & Life devotees. This is your friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Just kidding, it’s the Daily 49er’s print managing editor, but like almost as exciting, right? I recently got a behind-the-scenes look at a bakery in Signal Hill, Rossmoor Pastries. The following was inspired by a delicate, oversized cupcake sitting in the back of the bakery’s industrial fridge. Bon Appétit.

It’s cold in here. And dark. I don’t really remember how I got in here. I was feeling pretty mixed up this morning. Now I’m chilling. Mr. Baker put me in the deep freeze fridge this morning… Wait, it’s crumbing back to me.

My peers like to get baked, so I did too. Hey, if everyone’s doing it, it can’t be that bad, right? Wrong. I’m a whole new me, and I’m not too sure how I feel about it. I feel denser, and oh so naked.

Everyone else in here is covered in pastel flowers and dollops of cream. And I’m sheet-cake-white. Gross. At least I don’t look like that ostentatious wedding cake. Fondant trimming? More like fon-don’t! And don’t even get me started on Peachy, such a tart.

The days are short in these wintry hinterlands. The light bulb flicks on and off, night and day, on and off. Freezer burn is always a looming threat. And I’m still here. Waiting. Is anyone there? I smell cinnamon. And happiness. The metallic racks are empty beside me and I’m wracking my white matter, wondering what I did to be put in this polar purgatory. I’m sorry for whatever I did Mr. Baker.

As frustrating as this is, I have no tiers left to cry. Just a chocolately-mouse ooey-gooey center to keep me centered. Namaste.