Preview: S/he & Me

Watch out Caitlyn Jenner, California State University, Long Beach has it’s own transgender firebrand.

As seen on the award winning show “Transparent,” Golden Globe winner and CSULB theater teacher Alexandra Billings stars in the theatrical cabaret “S/he & Me.”

“S/he & Me” follows a particular chapter of Billings’ past that demonstrates her growth as an individual previously identified as “Scott” to the woman she’s become today.

The show uses Broadway musical numbers and spoken word to tell a non-linear love story, according to a press release distributed by California Repertory. “It celebrates the journey of transgender actress Alexandra Billings as she examines her relationships with her parents, her wife Chrisanne, and with herself – both as Alex and as Scott.”

The one-act autobiographical cabaret is through the viewpoint of Billings and portrays her life experience becoming a part of the transgender community. Director and former CSULB theatre arts department chair Joanne Gordon worked in close collaboration with Billings in ensuring the message of Billing’s love story was presented clearly.

“One of the things about Alex’s life that is so inspirational is her relationship with Chrisanne, her wife,” said Gordon in an interview with Christina Ramos, the Director of Special Events at the California Repertory Company. “Chrisanne and Alex met in high school when Alex was Scott and Chrisanne has loved Scott and has loved Alex through a turmoiled life of great tragedy and great pain.”

Billings is no stranger to one-woman shows. Previously, Billings appeared in the production of “Before I Disappear,” where audiences were taken through her complete life story. “S/he & Me” is set to hold different subject matter.

“It’s a memory piece about Scott, which was my given name, a little boy, and me now, Alex, and what has happened to the two of us and what happens to us at the end,” said Billings. “Even in the awfulness of our lives, because it does get awful occasionally, that that’s attached to the great joy. And if you’re present in both of those things you are ultimately free.”

In the era of equal love and the breaking out of Caitlyn Jenner, the buzz around the transgender community is not a subject to be ignored. As the first transgender actress to portray a transgender on screen, Billings is no stranger to breaking societal boundaries.

“S/he & Me” threads together the moments- dramatic and domestic that complete the vivid portrait of her triumphant self,” a statement on the CSULB theater website said. “Her story is our portal to understanding and acceptance.”

The show also features an ensemble of CSULB undergraduate students, alumni and graduate students.

Audience members are encouraged to bring gently worn clothes as donations to the show. Donations will be collected in the lobby and given to the Los Angeles LGBT center.

S/he & Me plays at 8 p.m. at the Cal Rep Studio Theater from Sept. 25 – Oct. 11. A preview performance will be held tonight at 8 p.m.

For tickets and more information call (562)-985-5526 or visit www.calrep.org.