Seven cultural food joints to try in Long Beach

Need to add some color to your dine-out list? Long Beach is home to a number of cultures, and with that comes an eclectic world of yummy, adventurous food spots.

1. 39 Degrees

665 Redondo Ave

Long Beach, 90814

Hours: Monday-Saturday Noon-9:30pm, Sundays 5pm-9pm

Rolls on rolls on rolls. 39 Degrees is not your typical sushi spot. It’s better. Try the Sexy Girl roll, the deep-fried Philadelphia roll and the mussels. Besides the eclectic roll list and relaxing lighting, the space is the right amount inviting to get you stuck in your seat until the friendly staff closes shop.

1. Dean’s Pizza

929 Redondo Ave

Long Beach, 90804

Hours: 11am-11pm daily

There’s nowhere else in Los Angeles County where you find a more unique food spot to get your pizza and Thai fix than Dean’s. They are experts at killing two birds with one stone, if you’re into deliciously crafted pizza and savory Pad Thai. Dean’s is an experience and a great place to serve a large group of friends with different food loves.

1. George’s Greek Café

5316 East 2nd Street

Long Beach, 90803

Hours: Monday-Thursday and Sundays 10:30am-10pm, Fridays and Saturdays    10:30am-11pm

If you live in Long beach, you know about George’s. It’s home away from home. Classic Mediterranean cuisine bleeds from this family-owned Greek-food mecca. Amongst the George’s scattered in Long Beach, the location on 2nd street is the most magnetizing; the open doors to a colorful street, the high, painted ceilings and sidewalk seating are as delicious as the Saganaki, or “The Flaming Cheese.” Opa!

1. Callaloo Caribbean Kitchen

4137 East Anaheim Street

Long Beach, 90804

Hours: Tuesday-Thursday and Sundays 11:30am-9pm, Fridays and Saturdays      11:30am-10pm

A burrito stuffed with goat meat? Mango hot sauce? Ox tail soup? Whether you are seasoned or new to Caribbean food, Callaloo will cement you into its spicy, genuine flair. The restaurant feels like your uncle’s house and feeds you like your grandmother. I recommend diving into unfamiliar names on the menu like doubles, plantains and roti. Callaloo will add Caribbean food to one of your favorites.

1. Monorom Cambodian Restaurant

2150 East Anaheim Street

Long Beach, 90804

Hours: 8:30am-8:30pm daily

Khmer food, or traditional Cambodian food, is found in abundance at Monorom. This tiny, authentic eatery is known for their simple yet delectable dishes and fantastic Phnom Penh noodles. Monorom is a diamond in the rough among the several Cambodian restaurants in Long Beach and will turn you on to Cambodian food if you haven’t fallen in love already. Enjoy and slurp your noodles slowly, my friends.

1. Alegria Cocina Latina

115 Pine Ave

Long Beach, 90802

Hours: Monday-Thursday and Sundays 11:30am-10pm, Fridays 11:30am-2am,    Saturdays 5pm-2am

If the entrancing inside, the merrymaking live music and mouthwatering plates of Alegria Cocina won’t captivate you, than get some coffee, go for run and pay attention. Alegria breathes traditional Latin pizzazz from the art lining the vibrant walls to the colorful tiles that cover the entryway and bar. Take a dip into the Dragon Berry Mojito and a bite out of the creamy Humitas Chilenas. You’ll be dancing out the door.

1. Open Sesame

5215 East 2nd Street

Long Beach, 90803

Hours: Monday-Thursday and Sundays 11am-10:30pm, Fridays and Saturdays    11am-11pm

Holy Lebanese food Batman! Lines pour out of Open Sesame during 2nd Street’s annual Stroll and Savor. For a good reason. The Shwarma, kabobs and potatoes are as traditional Middle Eastern food as it can get. Open Sesame is both a 2nd Street go-to and Long Beach staple. The menu is easy to navigate and effectively educates anyone who has yet to dip his or her toes into the wonderful, garlic-filled world of Lebanese cuisine.