Arts & Life, Music

Words to swoon by

David Ryan Harris is a crafter of soulful melodies. He has worked alongside several artists including Lupe Fiasco, John Mayer and Guy Sebastian. He preaches truth, love and relationship basics through his lyrics and hopes to stick to his bluesy guns during his current tour of his album “Lightyears,” which was released last July. Harris is playing at the Federal Bar in Long Beach on Nov. 17 at 7 p.m.

How did your music career begin?

I was born in Chicago and raised in Atlanta. My folks both really loved music; the turntable was always going in my house. My dad was really into Bebop and a lot of chant stuff. My mom loved Chicago blues and just classic AM radio and the 70s–which could be anything from the Doobie Brothers to The Family Stone. I always sang. My grandma used to say that I could sing before I could talk. [Music] has always been a part of who I am.

I got my solo record deal in ’97. It was sort of an eclectic album for Columbia, and they said it was so eclectic that they didn’t know what to do with it. We didn’t date for very long, Columbia and I.

I moved on and started another band called the Brand New Immortals. We got signed to Electra. Just before that, I started doing acoustic shows and playing Eddy’s Attic, which is a famous room for singers and songwriters. I became friends with John Mayer and moved to Boston. We paddled around for a year and then it sort of folded. Then I moved to Los Angeles and soon after that John asked if I would come out and play guitar and hang out. He said that there was always an open spot on the bus for me. So I went out and it was only supposed to be a short run, but I was there for nine years or so.  I made myself comfortable.

What are up to these days?

I just put this record out and I’m touring it in support of it. But the record actually has been out for a while, like 2 years. It is a snapshot of my life, of what it was. I just didn’t put it out. I just wasn’t sure. Now is such a different time to release records. You kind of only have one shot to put it out. If it finds its way to people, it will find its way.

The most I can do is make [the record] available and try to get on the road and in front of people, watch the people respond and hopefully they will go out into the world and do my bidding. [I’m going to] release music in much smaller batches, like put out some EPs. Now more than ever I can reach the public almost instantaneously; I can record something on Monday and it can be in the world by Tuesday morning. I want to take advantage of that. It pushes me to move forward.

What is your favorite component of your sound?

My lyrics. I think, if anything, I am proud of the fact that it’s honest. The way that I try to articulate a story [is a] straightforward presentation. That goes through any sort of musical changes that I may have. That part will always stay true.

Who would you like to collaborate with?

Jon Brion. Kanye West, I like his production sensibility.

Since many of your songs have to do with romantic love do you have any relationship advice?

Be yourself. A lot of times we exhibit first-date behavior. As long as you can show who you are, I think it’s a much more gratifying love; the person who is falling in love with you is falling in love with the truest part of yourself, warts and all. To get there, once you’re in the relationship…it’s kind of like driving a car: you can take your eyes off the road for a second but not for very long.