Arts & Life, Features

Sociology students: Helping students and communities

From volunteering to aiding unprivileged communities to advocating policies in an effort to better society, Cal State Long Beach’s Sociology Student Association is an engaged and active organization with an aim to provide students with the assets necessary to become successful academically and an essential part of their community.

“More than an academic student organization, we are dedicated to exposing students to careers, graduate schools, internships and offer chances to give back to underprivileged communities,”  Vice President of SSA Jessie Lopez said. “We also host events that invite students to take an active role on campus and in society.”

SSA continuously takes part in several projects aiding disadvantaged neighborhoods either within or outside of Long Beach, such as its upcoming volunteer work in the city of Compton this Saturday.

In collaboration with La Raza Student Association, another on-campus organization, SSA will take part in The Compton Initiative, a nonprofit organization devoted to restoring the city of Compton through its beautification projects solely with the help of volunteers and donations.

“They have been able to transform schools, homes, grow beautiful gardens and paint inspirational murals throughout the city,” Lopez said about the initiative, “They are dedicated to restoring Compton block by block to a community full of love, positivity and potential.”

SSA is also involved in political matters; members regularly attend city council meetings.

“Some SSA members had the opportunity to attend the vote that just passed [to raise minimum wage in Long Beach],” Lopez said.

Senior sociology major Fatima Chavez cites SSA as being a key component in her growth as both a person and an activist.

“I’ve been a part of the the association for about two years,” Chavez said, “It has helped me put what I’ve learned in my major to action by helping others; whether it be individuals, other organizations, or the city of Long Beach. It has also helped me grow as an individual by helping me figure out what I want to do after college.”

The association works with many advocacy organizations such as the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy to support new, beneficial policies being passed in Long Beach that financially assist students and the Long Beach community as a whole. In addition, several SSA members have already been given the opportunity to intern for this organization, according to Lopez.

Some of the upcoming events SSA has planned for this semester include hosting a week of action in April and taking part in the Women’s March in downtown Los Angeles. The organization is also attending the civic engagement program called People’s State of the City in Long Beach, an event held to promote participation from Long Beach residents in their community.

“We want SSA members to know the different avenues that they can pursue with a degree in sociology by offering a variety of workshops and events that can help students develop their sociological imaginations,” Lopez said.

Sociology Student Association will be tabling at this week’s Week of Welcome from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Central Quad.