LSU returns with a bang

Banda music, cultural snacks and aguas frescas — you are cordially invited to Latin@ Welcome.

Latin@ Welcome is the Latino Student Union’s upcoming event inviting Latino students to connect with one another and familiarize themselves with the many Latino organizations on campus.

“With a mix of tabling and fundraising by each organization in LSU, we hope to increase membership and participation within [LSU],” President Marco Romero said.

Latino Student Union aims to encourage Latino and Latina students to become involved on campus in an effort to develop their leadership skills.

Latin@ Welcome will host over 11 Latino campus organizations, including Hispanic Student Business Association, Latinos in Science and Engineering, and Hermanas Unidas.

The diversity of organizations participating in the event will provide students with an array of organizations they could become a part of, according to Romero.

“All Latino organizations on campus are unique from the name of their organization to their mission statements,” LSU Vice President Emelyne Camacho said. “We are not the same. Latinos make up one-third of the school and our numbers reflected through our organizations don’t add up.”

Because all Latino campus organizations are under the umbrella of the Latino Student Union, Latin@ Welcome was able to become a “Week of Welcome” for Latinos, Latinas and anyone interested in Latin-American culture.

“Our hermanas are enthusiastic about participating in the Latin@ Welcome.” Gabriela Chavez, public relations chair for Hermanas Unidas, said. “Not only as a method [of] recruitment, but simply to be able to continue connecting with and supporting other Latino organizations on campus.”

Latin@ Welcome will take place today on the Speaker’s Platform, in front of the bookstore, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.