Arts & Life, Events, Music

The Dirty Shakes shake the Nugget

Students who found themselves in The Nugget Grill & Pub on April 28 with the intent of studying for finals week were out of luck if they were hoping for a quiet place to read.

The Dirty Shakes took the Nugget’s stage at 7 p.m. and brought a whirlwind of rock

n’ roll for a straight hour. They played at very high volumes and with very high energy, jumping, kicking, screaming, head-banging and soloing on one knee.

During some songs, the energy rose to the point that singer and bass player Troy Romzek was yelling into the mic until his face turned red. He followed up by letting the otherwise quiet pub know, “If you’re studying for finals, right now might be a good time to put the pen down and take a little break.”

Even though they were playing a set for a small audience partly made up of studying students, The Dirty Shakes played as if they were at a venue hall full of moshing drunkards. The band says it doesn’t matter who their audience is.

“Any opportunity to play is an opportunity to play,” Romzek said. “I don’t care if there’s one person there or 2,000 people there; honestly, if we can make a fan we’ll take a fan.

The Dirty Shakes succeeded in producing the sound balance they desired. Their sound wasn’t just piercingly loud, but surprisingly complete for a three piece. The guitar player, who goes by Maku, played using a variety of styles and distortion pedals.

A comparison could be made to Maku’s biggest influence, Kurt Cobain, who was known for providing a complete and grungy sound for Nirvana despite lacking the traditional rhythm guitar that accompanies most rock bands.

The Dirty Shakes didn’t shy away from playing covers, but only from bands that matched their signature high energy stage presence such as The Fratellis and Kings of Leon.

The Dirty Shakes members have each played music independently for over 10 years, and it’s reflected in their skill level and music theory, especially during one of Maku’s many face melting guitar solos.

They’ve played together as The Dirty Shakes for little over a year, and apart from treating music like a full time job, they also do acting work on the side.

Though they only practiced once last week before their performance at the Nugget, The Dirty Shakes used to put in three eight-hour days a week in rehearsal.

The Dirty Shakes put on an incredibly well rehearsed performance, and even some aspects of their stage presence felt planned. For example, it is likely that at their next show, drummer Zach Cosby’s shirt will come off just as it did Thursday.

“We gauge [our volume] around the drums, but [Cosby] looks too cool playing drums so we can’t tell him to tone it down,” said Romzek. “Because if he doesn’t slam on [the drums] his shirt doesn’t come off, and that’s like half of our attraction.”

On stage Romzek has charisma seemingly falling out of his ears, maintaining banter with the small and barely responsive audience as best as could be expected.

But Romzek doesn’t turn off when they turn off the amps. He is very approachable after the show, and he might, in fact, approach you.

In the end all that energy and charisma comes from The Dirty Shakes’ passion for what they do.

“Honestly, music is such a beautiful thing,” Romzek said. “You can change somebody’s life in the matter of a set and you don’t even know it, so play your heart out every time and you can’t miss.”

Anyone else who thinks they have a passion for rock ‘n’ roll the way The Dirty Shakes do would be lucky to see them perform, and have the opportunity to do so when the band returns to Long Beach on May 27 to play DiPiazza’s and on June 25 to play Alex’s Bar.

These guys were awesome, unfortunately I had to leave before their set but where can I find their music!!