The good times roll through downtown

Local artists and comedians will join forces in a Long Beach pop-up shop to showcase some of the city’s many creative citizens this Saturday.  

MADE’s Long Beach location will host a comedy and art show downtown called “Let the Good Times Roll,” as well as a book signing from children’s book author Gary Favello.

The book signing will begin at 10 a.m. and a meet and greet with some of the featured artists will begin an hour before the 8 p.m. comedy show.

Los Angeles area stand up comedian Scott Luhrs will host the event with co-creators Lisa Chanoux and Jorge Mujica.

The event features comedians Nate Craig of “Last Comic Standing” and Kevin Camia, who has been featured on Comedy Central’s “Live at Gotham.” Other performers include Madison Shepard, Haley Driscoll, Steve Hernandez and Richard Bain.

Art installations will continue until July 31, with displays by various Long Beach artists. Featured artists include Venice Institute of Contemporary Art graduate Juri Koll, Art Institute of Chicago graduate Roxanna Martinez, Miles Lewis of Valley Print Studio, as well as local artists Ed Brescia, Sam Scharf, Jonathan DeDecker and Mujica.

“Let the Good Times Roll” has a $15 admission fee that will be redistributed to the comedians and artists contributing to the event.

MADE is located downtown at 240 Pine Ave. in Long Beach. The venue is a pop-up shop, equivalent to a real life ETSY. The shop’s inventory includes art, DIY creations and products manufactured by local artists from the city.

The store was opened in 2015 as a partnership with downtown-based Localism, Inc, a campaign that connects and empowers locally-owned merchants and community organizations. Funds from the comedy portion of the evening will support the local artists and the store, which has over 120 local contributors. The organization also supports the Pow! Wow! Long Beach movement of pop-up murals around the city, and encourages locals to vote and be an active part of the community.

This Saturday will be a laugh with Long Beach patrons and neighbors, so come down at any point in the day to rub shoulders with the community.