Arts & Life, Events

Beach family day is back

Everyone can use a break from the stressors of a new semester, so why not take yourself to the ball game and join the Cal State Long Beach crowd?

On Sept. 17 the right field of Angels Stadium will become CSULB student, faculty and alumni territory for Beach Family Day.

Last year, the event hosted over 4,000 members of the Beach family. This year’s Beach Family Day will conclude with fireworks, and guests will receive a custom Angels hat with the purchase of their ticket. Every ticket comes with a grey hat with the iconic red Angels symbol and the yellow “Go Beach“ logo under the bill.

Tickets can be purchased for $25 on the CSULB website at web.csulb.edu/alumni/events/angel.html.

Doors will open at 4:05 p.m. for Beach Village, where several CSULB organizations are providing live music, activities, games and prizes. Former Dirtbag Jered Weaver will throw the first pitch for the Angels at 6:05 p.m. in their home match against the Toronto Blue Jays.

Weaver had an impressive college career at Long Beach State going 37–9. During his final season in 2004, he became a top pro pitching prospect in the country, with Baseball America magazine begging the question “Where In The World Is Jered Weaver Going?”

Weaver finished the 2004 season with 15–1 record, a 1.62 earned run average, 213 strikeouts and just 21 walks in 144 innings. He was then drafted in the first round by the Anaheim Angels.

Toronto is no stranger to Dirtbags either. Troy Tulowitzki, who plays shortstop for the Blue Jays, was also a first round draft pick from Long Beach State. Tulowitzki had a batting average of .310, with 20 home runs and 117 RBIs in his 155-game college career. He was picked up by the Colorado Rockies in 2005 before being traded to Toronto last year.

So before they sell out, get your tickets and your complimentary hat, enjoy baseball, watch fireworks and show your Dirtbag pride.