Intelligent brains wanted… for food

Here’s a call to all “The Walking Dead” and zombie fans, B-movie gore fans, horror-movie enthusiasts; -or anybody willing to give judges a taste of your brains for a scholarship prize of $2,000.

The Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship awards $2,000 to students over the age of 13 who are currently enrolled or will be enrolled to a post-secondary institution of higher education no later than Fall of 2022.

To win, students must submit an online short written prompt of 250 words or less where the student imagines being stuck at their zombie-overrun college campus. Students must imagine their best friends, the cafeteria lady and even their math professor have joined the undead.

Students must also use their much desired brains to choose five items they must take with them to help them avoid (or kill) the flesh-eaters while escaping the campus.

The Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship is offered by UNIGO, an online consumer website connecting students with information on colleges, scholarships and student loans.

Students whom are interested in applying to this and other scholarships can visit Http://www.scholarshipexperts.com/apply.htx for online applications and more information.

So what is the best way to survive a zombie outbreak at Cal State Long Beach?

“I’d bring my cellphone, a portable charger, water, a knife and a backpack just in case,” said 19-year-old Criminal Justice Major Sia Ford. “[And] I’d choose my favorite teacher, honestly, Professor Michelle Stonis, because she’s a mom, she knows what she’s doing. She was a really good teacher so I feel like she would be really good at helping me.”

Some fellow students remembered to think of life’s simple pleasures.

“I want something for mental stability..like a book so I wouldn’t go crazy, I’d take water, knife, backpack, [and] solar power.,” said Karen Carias, a 21-year-old Biology Major.

Ford and Carias both have loans out for about $22,000 but both, like many students, have no idea how to go about applying to scholarships.

“I took out a loan for $7,000 but I don’t know about applying or if I even qualify for scholarships,” said Sarah Smart, a 20-year-old Civil Engineering Major.

Connie Moreno, Coordinator for the Center for Scholarships at CSULB, urges all students to contact the center and get informed on all the types of scholarships offered.

“You can’t win if you don’t apply,” Moreno said. “All students are worthy of receiving scholarships, they just have to take the time to research, apply, and put best effort into it.”

The deadline for this gory scholarship falls on the spookiest day of the year –Halloween. There can only be one entry per student.

Use the brains that the walkers, biters, and roamers so badly want to eat and don’t let them get you before then – apply, survive and win.