Arts & Life, Events, Music

Win tickets to see Jimmy Buffett live

Jimmy Buffett fans at Cal State Long Beach – or just fans of live music and margaritas –  have a chance to win tickets to the March 30 grand opening of the new Margaritaville restaurant.

Located at Universal CityWalk, the event will feature an invite-only performance by the singer, song-writer and author Jimmy Buffett along with his Coral Reefer Band.

Jimmy Buffett reached commercial success in 1974 with his hit single “Come Monday,” according to a Rolling Stone biography on the singer. The first version of the Coral Reefer Band was formed a year later.

Buffett and his band’s laid-back, country style music includes ballads like “Why Don’t We Get Drunk,” and “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes.” The new restaurant is named after the singer’s hit song “Margaritaville,” which ranks 234th on the Recording Industry Association of America’s list of “Songs of the Century.”

To win tickets, students can simply visit universalstudioshollywood.com/margaritavillesweeps and fill out the short questionnaire. The prize package for each winner includes two tickets to the event plus one guest ticket. The sweepstakes ends March 7 at 6 p.m.

The venue itself, adjacent to the Universal Studios Hollywood theme park, is full of colorful outdoor aesthetics like large neon signs that are reminiscent of old Hollywood.

The Margaritaville restaurant is characterized by its island ambiance, where visitors can indulge in seaside-inspired menu items such as the Coconut Shrimp and the Cheeseburger in Paradise.

Adults 21 and over can enjoy drinks from the 5 O’Clock Somewhere bar located in the center of the restaurant. The wide-ranging bar offers fun and fruity drinks like the Sunset Cruise Margarita and the Hawaiian Lightnin’ boat drink.

The grand opening starts at 5 p.m., for invite recipients and ticket winners who are ready to retreat into a vacation state of mind.