Arts & Life, Film & Television

‘Ovarian Psychos’ film screening

The Department of Film and Electronics at Cal State Long Beach has organized a free screening of the 2016 documentary “Ovarian Psycos” in the University Theatre tonight at 7:30.

The Ovarian Psycos Bicycle Brigade is a group of women who ride their bikes at night through the  neighborhoods of east Los Angeles. The group is led by their founder Xela de la X, a single mother, activist and poet. De la X defines her group as “a refuge for the runaways and the throwaways” and says riding their bikes gives them a voice by showing they aren’t scared to be on the streets after dark as women.

The film is directed by Joanna Sokolowski and Kate Trumbull-LaValle, both of whom will be in attendance for the screening to hold a discussion after the film.

The Psycos were established in 2010, recruiting young women of color and showing them leadership as well as a different perspective of the world. The group has a credo that they believe in that reads “feminist ideals with indigena understanding and an urban/hood mentality.”

The film closely follows de la X through her daily struggles as a single mother and activist. Viewers can also travel with another leader of the group, Andi, a street artist who is estranged from her family as well as new recruit Evie, who grew up in poverty with her Salvadoran mother.

The Psycos overall mission is to create peace for all family, friends and neighbors that grew up on the violent streets of east Los Angeles. Riding their bikes with more members, and having this documentary made, are the beginning steps to their goal.