Fulbright Scholarship awarded to professor Shanti Pillai

The Cal State Long Beach houses some exceptional students, and some exceptional faculty, like assistant professor of Theatre Arts Shanti Pillai, who was recently awarded a Fulbright scholarship to conduct research for nine months in India.

Fulbright is a program that has aided in the academic growth of students and scholars alike since 1946. When awarded, the grant will enable Pillai to do research in India, and eventually publish her book. The proposal is titled “Feminist Kinesthesia: Women As Innovators of Contemporary Performance in India.”  

“It’s about the roles of women in this new world of contemporary performance in India, and how that relates to traditional practices and forms of art training,” Pillai said.

Pillai examines how women are creating work that not only addresses the social issues of their country, but also explores the theatrical and artistic form that communicates those messages.

“It’s interesting to observe how women have been particularly instrumental in their contributions to this sort of growing social world of contemporary performance,” Pillai said. “Not just in terms of the work they’re making, but also in the institutions they are creating such as art centers, programs, and universities.”

Pillai holds a B.A. in anthropology and international relations from Stanford University, an M.A. in Asian studies from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Ph.D. in performance studies from New York University. Her fellow colleagues recognize her as a powerhouse on campus.

“She is a phenomenal scholar, aspiring mentor, a strong teacher and a great colleague,” said Jeff Janisheski, Theatre Arts Department Chair. “That’s why I love being chair and working in this profession, I get to be surrounded by incredible people like her.”

Pillai hopes that her book will inform people about the work these women are doing. Her research will take place from January to December of 2018.

“The whole department is utterly thrilled for Shanti,” Janisheski said. “She is the most deserving team member and inspiring scholar/artist.”