Sneak peek of Earth Week

CSULB Sustainability plans events for Monday-Thursday.

Stephanie Hak

Stephanie Hak

Jason Enns, Arts & Life Editor

It’s not quite time to celebrate mom, but it is nearing that time of year we do something special for Mother Earth. International Earth Day is on April 22, but Cal State Long Beach Sustainability is bringing Earth Week to campus starting today, with events throughout the week leading up to the environmental holiday.

The free festivities begin tonight at 5:30 p.m. in the University Student Union Ballrooms, with a “Silent Spring” screening and panel. The documentary follows the life and works of biologist Rachel Carson, whose landmark work in the 1950s and ‘60s sparked a revolution in environmental policy and created a new ecological consciousness. There will be a panel discussion after the showing with CSULB environmental educators and local community leaders.

The screening advertises free pizza and popcorn, and, like most events on this week’s schedule, B.Y.O.B. — bring your own (reusable) bottle. These are also features for Tuesday’s “Eco-Fair.”

The fair is from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. on the Speaker’s Platform in front of the bookstore. On top of the promise of pizza, this event guarantees eco-themed carnival games, giveaways and the Engineers for a Sustainable World will host a sustainable doghouse competition.

Rather than B.Y.O.B., Wednesday’s Earth Week celebration invites us to B.Y.O.T. — bring your own T-shirt or tote bag. From 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. on April 19, enjoy a photo booth, music and a screen-printing station. Make a custom design while learning more about DIY eco-crafts.

The week will come to a close Thursday with the Green Generation Mixer and Sustainability Project Showcase at the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden. The showcase will feature sustainability-related student and faculty work that explores a variety of innovative topics and solutions. The evening promises free mingling, music and food for students, staff and faculty, but requires an RSVP at www.GreenGen2017.Eventbrite.com.

Earth Day will be here Saturday, and though Earth Week will be over, the day will mark as a final reminder to be environmentally conscience.