A celebration of illustration

Long Beach State BFA illustrations major Mark Hill showed his work at the CSULB art galleries.

Bobby Yagake

Bobby Yagake

Nestled in the middle of the Werby gallery is the work of bachelor of fine arts student, print maker and illustrator Mark Hill. This week the art galleries are holding the Illustration and Animation BFA Group Exhibition where Hill is able to feature his art.

The soft-colored sketches of butterflies and birds hang from the walls in wooden frames, and give the gallery a homey feeling.

“Most of my art was inspired by assignments,” Hill said. “We would be given a prompt and then we would try to construct an illustration on that. For a lot of them I tried to incorporate print making, some of them are lithography prints, one etching, an engraving and a dry point that was in Plexiglas.”

A lot of Hill’s work features animals and wildlife and he talked about what he enjoys to work on mostly.

“I plan on going for the scientific illustration certificate in the future,” Hill said. “So I think that inspired some of it, and I really like drawing nature and animals and wildlife.”

After college, Hill is planning on taking a year off to focus on his career as an artist.

“I am getting my bachelors and then I’m probably going to take a year off to build up my portfolio,” Hill said. “I want to dedicate some more time for artwork because I have been kind of putting it off cause of school.”

Hill’s pieces will be on display in the Werby gallery until Thursday, but he will have plenty of pieces on display this summer. One of the shows will be Insights, where Cal State Long Beach art students receive scholarships, are featured at the University Art Museum.

Insights 2017 will be taking place on May 11-26.