Long Beach to see first Disney Day

ASI replaces the annual spring concert with a $10 day at Disneyland.

Long Beach to see first Disney Day

A statue of Walt Disney holding hands with his mascot, Mickey Mouse. ASI will be holding its first Disney Day on Friday where students will be able to attend Disneyland for $10.

Courtesy of Joe Matthews

Courtesy of Joe Matthews

Courtesy of Joe Matthews

Students can ditch glow sticks and dancing shoes for Mickey Mouse ears and Dole Whip in the first ever Long Beach State ASI Disney Day in place of the annual spring time concerts.

The announcement was made Saturday via Associated Students Inc.’s Instagram.

“ASI is always mindful of how student fees are spent and what they’re meant for, and since we as students passed this fee to support a magical end of the year experience, that’s exactly what we intend to bring you,” ASI President Joe Nino said in the video. “That’s right folks — we’re going to Disneyland.”

The event will take place Friday during regular park hours, 9 a.m. to midnight and will include a reserved ASI hospitality section located in the Starcade in Tomorrowland from 2 to 6 p.m. Students can access free food, drinks and Long Beach State gear in this area.

Nino explained that the event was planned after Beach Pride Events realized last week they were unable to “make [the spring concert] happen.”

ASI Communications Manager James Ahumada explained that they were in the process of making offers to various artists before realizing the conflicting dates and cost of performers would make it impossible.

“We wanted to give something back to the students still, so we started looking for other options,” Ahumada said.

Tickets for Disney Day are $10 and will go on sale at 2 p.m. Monday on a first-come-first-served basis. They require a student ID and come with a VIP wristband, which grants you access to the ASI hospitality section. Students are permitted to begin lining up at 1 p.m.

2 Responses to “Long Beach to see first Disney Day”

1. Kelly Baker on May 7th, 2018 5:02 pm

Where do the tickets go on sale at? Do we just show up at Disneyland?

2. Anon on May 8th, 2018 11:01 am

When the student body is 30,000+ students, yet only 1,000 tickets were sold. 3% of lucky people and 97% gets cheated. Could’ve done 50% off and at least give it to 2,000 people.

*

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

Best films of 2018

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

College of Engineering builds fog machine from scratch for Long Beach Ballet

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

Why can’t we just have fun at the movies?

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

‘Nine’ — more than just a number

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

In Photos: ‘Nine’ exhibit hosts a diverse range of artistic viewpoints

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

Film director works toward filling the frame with documentary ‘Half the Picture’

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

The one with the $100 million deal

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

Take a load off before passing classes

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

Students share their first-year experiences at Long Beach State

• Long Beach to see first Disney Day

Snack now, peel better later