Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

The Pilipino American Coalition welcomed artists of all mediums to share their talents.

PAC+members+Ian+Soriano+and+Justin+Fontanares+performing+onstage+at+the+PAC+Poetry+Night.+
PAC members Ian Soriano and Justin Fontanares performing onstage at the PAC Poetry Night.

Jose Ahumada

Jose Ahumada

The sounds of clapping, singing and laughter from an audience of hundreds of attendees that filled the outside of the Kin Courtyard as students performed both original and covered works on stage.

The Pilipino American Coalition hosted its PAC Poetry Night on Thursday. The night welcomed PAC club members and guests to showcase their artistic talent through poetry, music, spoken word and dancing.

Poets and singers translated their talents and artistic skills into the microphone exposing their deepest emotions and feelings.

Hilario Balajaou, a computer science major from Dominguez Hills, covered the song “A Million Dreams” from “The Greatest Showman.”

“For tonight, I wanted to sing that song because I am in a long distance relationship and that person couldn’t be here tonight,” Banajaou said.

Admission was free to anyone who wanted to come out and show off their original or unoriginal works and guests were able to purchase Thai and boba teas as well as spam musubi while they watched the performances.

Performances ranged from spoken word, poetry, singing, dancing and playing instruments.

Throughout the night, audience members maintained high levels of energy, singing and laughing with those they came to support.

Fourth-year students Nicole Swayne and Ma Kathrina I Sip went to the poetry night together to have fun at the event.

“The vibes have just been chill,” Kathrina said. “It’s good to see each other’s talents and meet new people.”

PAC members Ian Soriano and Justin Fontanares collaborated together onstage, with Soriano singing and Fontanares playing the guitar. Together they covered the songs “Changes” by Jeff Bernat and “Slow Dancing in the Dark” by Joji.

Soriano shared words of advice to for anyone wanting to pursue  a career in music.

“If you’re going after music, don’t give up. Just keep trying and pursue your passion,” Soriano said. “I would like to make it as a singer working with Justin.”

Among the performers at the poetry night was Leila Lagandaon, president of PAC, who sang the national anthem of the Philippines, “Lupang Hinirang”  in Tagalog.

“It’s our way to celebrate Filipino History Month so that all the Filipinos in our club and even non-Filipinos can show off their talents,” Lagandaon said. “I really just want people to have fun and enjoy themselves and celebrate the Filipino culture.”

The previous version of this story falsely stated that Leila Lagandaon sang the American national anthem. At the poetry night Lagandoan sang the national anthem of the Philippines.  

2 Responses to “Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night”

1. Bailey Nelson on November 7th, 2018 11:51 am

Overall, great article but I will say that Leila didn’t sing the Star Spangled Banner, the American national anthem, in Tagalog, the national language of the Philippines. She sang the Pilipino national anthem in Tagalog.

2. Brianna Herbolario on November 7th, 2018 11:57 am

Hello Jose Ahumada,

I just wanted to correct your statement regarding Leila Lagandaon. She did not sing the Star Spangled Banner in Tagalog. She actually sang the Philippines national anthem, “Lupang Hinirang”. It is not at all similar to the American Star Spangled Banner. I hope you correct or address that this statement is incorrect because as a Filipino-American I’m slightly disappointed you did not find out this information at PAC Poetry Night especially when you interviewed Lagandaon herself.

*

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

Diverse dance pieces to be presented in ‘Fusion’

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

Jazz students present an afternoon of tunes

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

Simon and Garfunkel [Revisited] transports audiences back to iconic 1981 concert

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

La Raza’s Day of the Dead celebration honors loved ones

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

A rainbow dance performance celebrates joy and self-expression

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

‘Overlord’ is a bloody thrill ride from start to finish

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

La Raza’s Dia de los Muertos 2018

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

Cal Rep play tackles discrimination of women in latest play

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

With a new name, new sound and new EP, Dummie steps up with ‘Cafe Bleu’

• Snaps all around at PAC Poetry Night

Q&A with the new commissioner for Disability Affairs