Music

Break out the skillet and good music

It has been quite some time since Hellogoodbye released a proper full-length record. In 2006, the band released their debut album, “Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!” and proceeded to tour vigorously through the next two years to promote it. Fans eager for a new record were let down as the band decided to re-release “Zombies!” a year later to include bonus tracks and demos.
    Singer Forest Kline, and bassist Travis Head, have remained silent about new music — aside from a demo track the band released on MySpace — but were finally ready to discuss their future plans.
    “The new record is less electronic but not all acoustic either,” Head revealed. “We’re trying not to sound like Metro Station,” poking fun at the Los Angeles based electro-pop band, which also happens to have a famous guitarist — Miley Cyrus’ brother.
    When inquiring further about Hellogoodbye and their future plans, the Long Beach-based band proceeded to share some of the music they have been listening to lately, perhaps hinting at what’s to come. Kline is currently spinning Beach Boys and Phantom Planet, while Head is currently hooked on The Stills, Vampire Weekend and Tokio Police Club.
    The band is currenly on a U.S. tour this October, with Ace Enders and Nevershoutnever! Hellogoodbye has confirmed that they will be playing some new songs nightly — although a proper full-length won’t be out by the time the tour begins.
    What sets this tour apart from past Hellogoodbye treks is that a BBQ with fans is tentatively planned for each night, pre-show.
    “I’m gonna bring a skillet and an assortment of knives,” Kline said. “I think I can do some pretty good tacos.”
    Fans will be pleased to hear that anyone is allowed to attend the BBQ pre-show, no money or contest-winning required. And will the band be performing acoustically post-show as they’ve done in the past? “If we’re not playing halo and its not freezing,” Head revealed.
    One can’t help but notice Kline’s signature Buddy Holly/Rivers Cuomo frames that he has become infamous for — and he can’t escape the constant comparisons.
    “I went to the dentist the other day and the 70-year-old secretary was talking with a 40-year-old woman, and the younger one said to me does anyone ever tell you, you look like that guy from Weezer?'” Kline shared.
    Hellogoodbye kicked off their BBQ tour with a show at the Glasshouse in Pomona on Oct. 23. The tour will wrap up at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood on Nov. 26.