Blog

Tips on how to get over a broken heart

You meet someone, fall in love, and feel like you’re living a dream. Then one day, they sleep with your sister or something, and break your sweet little heart.

Your world crashes down, and you find it hard to get up and go on every day. You’ve got work, classes and other responsibilities to think about, but you just can’t get what that person did to you off your mind.

You start to slip. You bomb a test, miss a shift, run over a few people while driving, you feel like you just can’t do anything like you used to anymore. 

Well, life goes on and so should you. 

Here are some ways you can start to get over the heartbreak and move on with your life.

Develop an obsession that takes all your mental focus off your ex

Do you have a thing for Justin Bieber? Some people are really into the “is that a man or a woman” thing he has going for him. Cover your room with his posters, blast nothing but his music while driving, call up TMZ and tell them you’re pregnant with his baby. The point is, take your mind off of the heartbreak by thinking of something else that you’re passionate about. Distract yourself from your problems.

Ask a friend if they’ll lend you a shoulder to lean on

Have a close friend follow you around, go with you to class or drive you to work. Anytime that voice in your head starts to whisper your ex’s name, have your friend physically slap the crap out of you and tell you to snap out of it. There may be a lot of things going through your head that are reminding you of your ex. Having that extra voice of your friend’s outside your head to remind you that you can do all right without your ex, can be just the push you need to start building up the strength to move on.

Instead of letting yourself go because you’re just too hurt to try anymore, start taking better care of yourself, and soak up the results in the mirror

Go to the rec center and work out the frustration. Buy yourself some new shoes. Get your hair did at the campus salon. Then look in that mirror and remind yourself that you still got it going on. In fact, self-reflection might be a good thing at a time like this. Remind yourself that your ex may have left, but no one said they took your smarts, looks, talents or achievements with them. All that stuff still belongs to you. Think about all that you have to offer the world and how stupid your ex was to let that go. It’s their loss, not yours.

Get out of town for a little while

Even if it’s just for a few hours, grab your bestie and enjoy the beaches of Santa Barbara. Take yourself out of the environment filled with places and objects that remind you of your ex. Take a mental break by taking on a physical. Giving yourself a moment to breath can help you get back to life more energized and refreshed.

Like the old ancient saying goes, “The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.”

No one says you need to look for love right away, but remember that there are other fish in the sea. Avoid the crabs, but take a swim. Getting to know new people, even just for friendship purposes, can introduce new experiences and excitement in your life. The good times live on. Okay, maybe not with your ex, but there are really interesting people to meet out there. Who knows what some small talk might turn into. 

No matter what you do, it’s going to be hard to get over someone that was a big part of your life. However, don’t let anyone have so much power over you that you start to mess up your life as a result of their actions. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on that horse and ride. Move on, because life does.