Blog, Spectacle

CSULB Trends: Fall Has Arrived!

The fall season has finally hit CSULB campus. After the random September summer, sweaters are making its debut all over the streets.

Fall sweater weather allows students to play with cozy fabrics, autumn colors and introduce romantic winter wear.

As the auburn leaves were flowing in the wind and collecting on the pavement, I spotted an adorable pairing of knit socks peek-a-booing out of combat boots.

The combat boots were sported by Nicole Huey, a first-year student on campus, as she was enjoying the fall breeze outside the SSPA building and squeezing in some last minute studying between classes.

By keeping a neutral color palette, Huey’s entire outfit echoed white winter from her cream colored, knit sweater to her gray knit socks. Basing the entire outfit on a black to white color scheme pulls Huey’s look together as comfortable chic.

Huey’s ivory, tan knit sweater fell off the shoulders ever so slightly, going with the current trend in effortless femininity. The knit material on Huey’s sweater is not only fall fashion appropriate but is also functional for the impending cold weather on campus. Light weight, knit sweaters are designed for layering and can be incorporated with variety of tanks underneath. Whether it be just a pop of color by pairing a mute sweater with a burgundy tank, or vice versa, the choices are virtually endless when it comes to layering. This is a part of fall fashion where a lot of creativity and fun come into wardrobes, playing with a variety of fabrics and prints.

The best element about the fall fashion is layering and this includes the reintroduction of scarves into the wardrobe. Scarves have already hit the shelves at many university students’ favorite retailers, including H&M, Forever 21, American Apparel, Macy’s and many more. The variety in prints, colors and fabrics in scarves can elevate any outfit into a statement piece. There are scarves made from heavy knits with multiple colors and prints for the more daring trend setter. Huey stuck with her neutral color palette and went with a chic, black scarf. The same as the little black dress that must be in every girl’s closet, the long black scarf is a staple for winter. Having a dark scarf in the closet will come into heavy use every winter, an investment worth making.

Huey is also wearing a pair of fall and winter favorites for all girls, leggings. Leggings have evolved over time with the introduction of jeggings a few years ago. There is almost a limitless variety in leggings prints from acid wash, animal prints, tribal and bright colors just to start. Huey knows the legging basics by wearing a classic, black pair. Black leggings can be paired with any outfit, regardless of print or color. A warning: spend the extra dollar on high quality leggings, nothing is more of a legging felony than when the material is thin, cheap and see through.

My favorite element on Huey’s outfit was her combat boots with gray, knit socks. This has been a winter favorite for the past few years and quickly becoming a consistent trend year by year. Combat boots bring a bit of edge to all outfits and a heavy, knit sock peek-a-booing not only creates warmth but looks adorably cozy. All that’s missing is a cup of hot cocoa and a warm fire place. Too bad only the cocoa is available on campus, but at least girls can create the feeling of warmth in fall while trekking through the cold!