Filed under Behind the Pages, Blog

A Designer’s Perspective: Second to Last Night of the Semester

A Designer’s Perspective: The Second to Last Night of the Semester

It’s 11 p.m. on Monday and we’re still in the newsroom. Usually, I am off campus by 9 p.m.

Monday was our first production of the last two issues of the semester. It was a regular night of collaboration, but it was filled with more jumble because of Diversions’ special holiday section to be out the next day. There was a lot more going on, especially between designer and editor, designer and designer, editor and editor, designer and design trainee, editor and writer, and more rewriting, reediting, and redesigning.

The mood was high by 9 or 10 p.m. I had just finished designing the news pages.

Delirious speech hit a couple of the editors, with one or two napping on the couch. Our Design Director, Jen San Jose, was designing as fast and efficient as she could on the special section. A couple runs for coffee and fast food took care of tiredness, waiting periods, and hunger.

To finish as fast and as best as we can seemed like all we wanted to do. All the while, we also just wanted to sleep, go home, eat, and God-willing, study for finals or finish homework.

After a moment of wallowing at the amount of time we’ve spent in the basement (all day and all semester), I pulled up a video to capture the feelings inside. We gathered over to my computer to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA) video together. That was a refreshing break, to laugh and “cry” together.

I finally went home by 11:30 p.m. or so. I get a text from Jen around 12:30 a.m.—still in the newsroom.

One more production to go. One last day to design the paper.