Recycle your closet

The current generation of young people is straying away from disposable clothing and seeking individuality in their attire.

Leah Zahn, 35, said she has sifted through the racks of thrift stores for treasures since she was in high school, and more recently, opened her own clothing store in Long Beach.

Zahn’s three-month-old clothing store, Tattered, recycles used fashions and sells items from local designers.

She said that after earning a degree in fashion at Long Beach City College, she worked in the fashion industry as a fashion forecaster and designer.

Zahn, who sees herself as more of a people person, said she did not want to work in an office so she took a leap of faith and opened her own business.

“I realized there was a void in Long Beach,” Zahn said. “There [weren’t] too many options here.”

According to the National Association of Resale and Thrift Shops, about 16 to 18 percent of Americans shop at a thrift store during a given year. At the same time, 11.4 percent of Americans shop in factory outlet malls, 19.6 percent shop in apparel stores and 21.3 percent shop in major department stores.

First Research, a consumer research group, estimates that the resale industry generates approximately $13 billion in annual revenue, allowing stores like Tattered to set a milestone in a new era of fashion.

Types of resale shops vary from charity shops like Goodwill, to selective trading companies like Buffalo Exchange.

Zahn said some merchandise sold at Tattered is purchased directly from vendors, but a good percentage of the pieces are donated, bought or made by local designers, which makes the shop one of a kind.

At Tattered, Zahn said that they buy both high-end and mall labels, including surf and skate brands, Free People, Urban Outfitters designer handbags and select vintage pieces. The type and style of clothing, though, varies depending on the season, inventory and fashion trends.

Victoria Santana, an employee at the store and new merchandise buyer, said they buy items based primarily on style and then consider the label.

Santana said that she, Zahn and other employees regularly look at fluctuations in the fashion industry and price items accordingly.
Santana said they also follow new trends to make sure they are showcasing items that will attract young fashionistas.

Staying true to her philosophy of encouraging local designers, Zahn sells custom jewelry and clothing made by local artists who receive a 50 percent profit on their merchandise sold in her store.

Zahn said that clothing reuse benefits the environment just as much as it does your wallet. Rather than throwing your clothes into a landfill while feeding the demand for clothing production and nonrenewable resources, reuse allows customers to treasure another person’s trash.

“A lot of people don’t know about this option,” Zahn said. “They’re so stunned when they realize that they can resell their closet to me and get cash or credit. Instead of going to the mall … come here and find that one treasure only you can find, and it fits you and nobody else.”

She said when Tattered buys unwanted pieces, the seller receives 35 percent of the price they determine in cash, or 55 percent store credit. For those looking to chuck a designer bag, Tattered also offers consignment on certain designer labels, giving the original owner 50 percent of the price when it sells.

Although reclaiming cash that you thought was forever lost is a great feeling, Zahn said many customers opt for store credit as 55 percent is the highest percentage offered from stores of its kind in Southern California.

Above all, Zahn said she greets her customers with kind words and a smile.

“If you end up not valuing your customers then the word of mouth will turn negative, so the [priority is that] I want to celebrate the community here.”

Tattered is offering CSULB students a 10 percent discount on purchases with a valid school I.D.

Zahn said she is extending the deal throughout the month of February to encourage students to visit her store and dig through her treasures.

Tattered is located in the Target shopping center on Bellflower Boulevard and Stearns Street.