Chocolate floods the streets of Belmont Shore

The clouds cleared Saturday and the streets of Belmont Shore filled with sunshine and the sweet smell of chocolate as Long Beach locals took to the streets for the 10th annual Chocolate Festival.

Local families, friends and couples walked up and down Second Street eating all types of chocolaty treats that attendees purchased with tickets that came by the dozen in $10 booklets.

Aside from indulging in chocolate, attendees enjoyed live music and cultural dancing.

According to Dede Rossi, the executive director of Belmont Shore’s Business Association, the event’s main goal is to “bring people to the streets and support local businesses.”

Rossi said event allows each business to promote their stores and show Long Beach residents the goods they have to offer. Sixty cents of each dollar from the ticket sales went directly back to the businesses.

This year, 33 businesses participated, and each made their own unique desserts.

Lines were out the door at BJ’s Grill, as people waited for a soft warm chocolate cookie with a small scoop of chocolate ice cream on top, also known as a Pazookie, which seemed to be a favorite.

Another crowd favorite was of course, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, which had a variety of sweets such as strawberries dipped in chocolate, a caramel apple dressed up as an apple pie, cheesecake and even chocolate covered bacon.

La Creperie Café filled the air with powdered sugar as they sprinkled a chocolate crepe filled with strawberries swimming in warm chocolate syrup and whipped cream. There was no doubt that the participants left with bellies full of sugary happiness.

Two locals, 12-year-old Jacob Jabeili, third time attendee, and his buddy Ethan Maass enjoyed the day with their family as they sat on the curb slurping up their chocolate smoothies from Jamba Juice. After a few minutes of hard contemplating, they decided that their favorite treat was the creamy, rich sorbet from Paradis ice cream parlor.

Stacey Lovebridge, an 11-year Long Beach resident who visited the Chocolate Festival for the first time, said she took her family out to indulge in the famous Pazookie from BJ’s Grill, chocolate chip cookies and chocolate covered Twinkies from Rocky Mountain.

Not only were people able to walk around and satisfy their cravings, but other events took place in the midst of the chocolate affair, including a dessert contest.

The contest was held under a tent, were participants submitted their creations beforehand in hopes of receiving a gold trophy.

From mocha cupcakes decorated in chocolate frosting to simple chocolate chip cookies, the judging was based on presentation, originality, and taste.

Guests were also invited by Hoff’s Hut to stuff their faces in a Chocolate Pie eating contest or attend a chocolate chip pancake breakfast by Simmzy’s, Peet’s Coffee & Naturewel at 9 a.m. before the festivities.

With Valentine’s Day less than a week away, the Belmont Shore Chocolate Festival was a great way to fill the air with love.