Arts & Life, Music

Valentine’s Day: Albums to set the mood

James Vincent McMorrow- Post Tropical
Best song- Cavalier

The album came out less than a month ago, and contrasts sharply with his previous album, “Early in the Morning,” which is comprised of upbeat acoustic tunes. Nevertheless, James Vincent McMorrow has always been a singer of love songs. “Post Tropical” not only has lyrics of love, but also a passionate composition ideal for romance.

With the highest voice you’ve ever heard come out of a man a with a beard, James Vincent McMorrow, sings zealously and makes music perfect for those passionate moments. Most of the songs on the album escalate from soft brooding like Bon Iver to climactic ends resonant of James Blake.

“Cavalier” is by far the most beautiful song on the album, in which McMorrow sets the tone for the album by repeating, “I remember my first love.”

“Tropical” clearly shows that popular musical influences have shifted. McMorrow uses a lot more electronic influences but unlike other artists, they are used to synthesize orchestrated music.
Using harp-like guitar and faded out drumbeats, each song on the album sounds like a modern twist of heavily orchestrated symphony, rising and falling emotionally from calm to climax.

Lanny Gordin- Duos
Best song-Evaporar

Although this album was released seven years ago, its slow Brazilian samba tunes will be forever timeless.

Gordin played a fundamental role in the evolution of Brazilian pop music in the ‘60s and ‘70s. After a lifetime of experiences and influences, “Duos” was his final album. When listening to the album, it is obvious that the music is a celebration of life and love.

“Evaporar,” a collaboration between Gordin and Rodrigo Amarante, is one of the most enchanting songs on the album. The track has been redone by multiple artists from South America, including the band Little Joy.

This is one of those albums that would chronicle a romantic evening with glasses of wine by candlelight, maybe dancing by the fireside and eventually retiring to the bedroom.
To top it off, the entire album is sung in Portugese, a latin rooted language and therefore one of the romantics.

Unlike music with prominent lyricism, the sweetly uttered words won’t distract you from how the music makes you feel. The language is soft and gently carries you alongside the sweet serenading of Gordin strumming his jazz guitar. Press play on this album and let the magic unfold.

Cultura Profética- La Dulzura
Best song- Ilegal

The album, which translates to “the sweetness,” features a wide variety of styles, from slow serenading acoustic tunes to sexy hip-hop grooves, all in tribute to sweet love making.

All the lyrics are about love and passion, and so are the rhythms, which are made up of fluid reggae mixed with Latin beats that make you want to sway with the music.

Whether the song is slow and sensual or fast and upbeat, there are always hints of seduction in the wavering of Willy Rodriguez’s voice and the richness of his beats.

With an album that begins with “Rimas Pa’ Seducir” translated as “Rhymes To Seduce,” you better turn the lights down low before hitting play.

In “En La Oscuridad,” Rodriguez sings, “Pongo todo en el ritmo/ En la oscuridad… (I put everything in the rhythm/ In the darkness).”

The album ends with the soft serenading and gentle guitar rhythms in “La Espera,” meaning “The Wait,” which are perfect for cuddling. For those searching for a full soundtrack to this day of love, check out this album.

Shlohmo- Bad Vibes
Best song- Seriously

Shlohmo is on this year’s lineup for Coachella, and if you don’t know of him yet, then you should take a listen to his one-of-a-kind music this Valentine’s Day.

The DJ mixes together songs indicative of his name, such as being slow paced with hints of sensuality.

While all of the songs are in what could be defined as slow motion, hence his name, the jams in this album give off anything but bad vibes.

Many of the songs are threaded together seamlessly as if the whole album is one gradually evolving journey through raw rhythm and addictive syncopated beats.

Shlohmo utilizes sounds such as rain tapping softly on rooftops, electricity buzzing from telephone wires or crickets chirping softly in the early evening.

Some of the most notable songs on the album are titled “Places,” “Big Feelings” and “Trapped In A Burning House.”

While the songs don’t objectively express the title, the musical elements in each song tell a tale of their own.