Arts & Life, Music

Brand new flavor in your ears – Beck’s “Morning Phase”

Beck has once again struck gold with his twelfth album, “Morning Phase.”

Featuring an impressive collection of 13 songs, “Morning Phase” is a slow-moving, musically rich album that features distinct rhythm and pacing.

Billboard has coined him the “Coolest Weirdo in the Room,” and his style has always been somewhat quirky.

Those who have not listened to Beck’s work before, especially his 2002 album, “Sea Change,” may be surprised by the tempo of “Morning Phase.”

His past works, notably 2008’s “Modern Guilt,” featured the sounds of psychedelic garage rock and jazz influences, while best-known track “Girl” from 2005’s “Guero” was more upbeat.

The new album, however, nearing almost 50 minutes in total length, is deliberately slow-paced. Songs like “Blue Moon” and “Morning” feel like heart-wrenching confessions from a man who has seen so much.

“I’m so tired of being alone / These penitent walls are all I’ve known / Songbird calling across the water / Inside my silent asylum,” Beck croons on “Blue Moon.”

Beneath the strings, lush-sounding drums and droning vocals, “Morning Phase” contains angst and unrest. Beck’s lyrics, especially on tracks like “Blue Moon,” are incredible.

Other tracks like “Waking Light” feature beautiful piano notes that accompany the lyrics without overwhelming them.

While “Morning Phase” may not be the album to listen to if one is in a rock ‘n’ roll mood, it is definitely the go-to album for those in a ponderous mood. In the vast sonic space of “Morning Phase,” there lies a beauty that is yearning to be explored further.

The album will be available on iTunes February 25th.