Arts & Life, Music

The Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame can KISS it

For a musician, being inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a benchmark of achievement. Forever being remembered for the work they created is a common goal among musicians.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation was established in 1983 in New York City by leaders in the rock and roll industry to honor those who contributed to the growth and progression of the rock and roll genre, according to the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame website.

Although many cities lobbied the Foundation to have the Hall of Fame built in their city, the consensus eventually settled that the museum was to be built in Cleveland and designed by architect I.M. Pei.

The first induction ceremony was held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 1986 and the museum opened its doors in 1995. Inductees include Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Buddy Holly and James Brown.

The induction process begins with the Foundation nominating committee selecting musicians to be potentially inducted in the Performer category. From there, a body of more than 600 artists, historians and members in the industry vote on the ballot. The top five to seven nominees are then chosen to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, according to the Rock Hall website.

To be eligible for induction, an artist has to have released a record at “least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.” Although musical excellence is the base quality for induction, other factors such as influence on other musicians, innovation and superior style are also considered.

Now, however, some inductees are disgruntled over how much the Rock Hall has changed since its creation.

Andrew Loog Oldham, the manager of the Rolling Stones in their early career, is among those who are unhappy with the direction the Rock Hall ceremony is taking.

“It’s a television show,” Oldham said in an article to the Los Angeles Times. “Twenty years ago it was an incredible party at the Waldorf-Astoria where everyone could behave exactly as they could 20 years ago. Then it became a business.”

Oldham, who is being inducted into the Rock Hall this year, said he will not be attending the ceremony.

KISS, also being inducted this year, is perturbed by the Foundation’s conditions for their induction. According to an article in USA Today, the band’s founders, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, will be inducted alongside original members Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, who have not been a part of the band since the early 1980s.

Simmons and Stanley wanted the “fuller Kisstory” acknowledged. Current guitarist Tommy Thayer and current drummer Eric Singer will not be inducted, along with past guitarists and drummers.

The Rock Hall is an establishment that has been important to Rock ‘n’ Roll, highlighting those that have truly defined the genre as a movement. However, the Rock Hall’s inconsistency and refusal to recognize the many musicians that have contributed to KISS’ fame has dramatized the 29-year-old ceremony.

Like Oldham, KISS harbors dissatisfaction towards the Rock Hall for both a delay in induction and the conditions under which they are being inducted.

The Rock Hall has made exceptions for bands such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers by recognizing later members, but not for KISS. Rock Hall President and CEO Joel Peresman responded to the complaint by saying that KISS is being “selected specifically for its pivotal ‘70s phase.”

The band has always been associated with anti-establishment, and they almost seemed to enjoy being shunned from the Rock Hall for so long. Nevertheless, KISS has accepted the induction.

“The fans empower us,” Simmons said to USA Today. “We’ve been in the Hall of Fame since we began. The fans put us there.”
The band will be attending the ceremony.

“It means a lot to the fans,” Simmons told USA Today. “Our gratification comes from knowing the audience is thrilled we’re getting in.”