Arts & Life, Film & Television

‘Under the Skin’ is over audiences’ heads

Although it may be one of the most disturbing and audacious films ever produced, “Under the Skin” largely under-performs and falls flat in almost every category.

Based on a 2000 novel of the same name, “Under the Skin” follows an unnamed alien woman (Scarlett Johansson) who stalks young Scottish men. After picking the men up in her van, the alien lures each of them to her apartment and traps them in a seemingly tar-like substance.

Ordinarily, a film like “Under the Skin” could fill a certain science fiction niche involving aliens searching for meaning in a fast-paced human world. Instead of trying to find a common bond with its audience, “Under the Skin” exists in its own universe that possesses no form of logic whatsoever.

Oftentimes, mainstream Hollywood films lack artistic purpose and meaning. While “Under the Skin” may attempt to usher in an era of artistic filmmaking, its obsession with images that serve no plot purpose whatsoever burden the film immensely.

For example, the alien spends a small portion of the film entirely naked. At first, one can understand the artistic point of an alien being naked in order to better understand what it’s like to be human.

After a while, however, the nudity distracts viewers from paying attention to a plot that is barely perceptible. Stuck somewhere between a sex object and provocateur, the alien ends up losing its connection to the audience through sheer lack of interest.

Some critics have unjustly compared the film to Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece, “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

While both films may have some similarities, including the use of silence as a tool to convey the emotion or gravity of certain scenes, they could not be more different.

Instead of using visual aids to enhance the audience’s ability to comprehend the plot, “Under the Skin” director Jonathan Glazer destroys any shred of comprehension by inserting useless sequences.

The only redeeming part of the film was Johansson’s acting performance. Incredibly nuanced, delicate and memorable, Johansson further shows her willingness to expand and try new roles.

The film attempts to define humanity and convey a message about finding one’s place. The film seems to communicate that the woman commits animalistic deeds due to lack of understanding of how to truly become human.

However, the film lacks vital details that are better explained in the book.

In all, it’s clear that “Under the Skin” appeals only to those who prefer to go to the cinema and walk out confused. While the film is visually appealing, it is desperately artistic. Rather than being innovative, “Under the Skin” squanders any opportunity through its muddled, incomprehensible message.