Nutty for comics

Comics serve to entertain the reader through light-hearted banter with inspired character development, but it is easy to forget the artist behind the ink.

Richard Cardenas, a senior illustration and animation major, is the creative mind behind the “Nutty” comic strip that has been featured in the opinions section at the Daily 49er since Feb. 2012.

Originally printed in Cal State Long Beach’s Union Weekly from October 2011 to February 2012, Cardenas wanted to spread the “Nutty” audience to a wider demographic so he began working with the Daily 49er.

The “Nutty” comic uses squirrels to characterize everyday, societal situations. Cardenas said he was inspired by the simple multitude of squirrels at university campuses, both the community college Cardenas originally attended as well as CSULB.

Cardenas said he uses the “Nutty” comics to find humor in real life situations but, at times, finds it difficult to tie an obvious joke into the strip.

“I use stories from other people or make up my own story,” Cardenas said. “It’s not always easy. If you have to explain a joke, there is no joke.”

Although Cardenas is a success in his own right as a regularly published artist for Daily 49er, he faced a number of obstacles that may have defeated aspiring artists.

At roughly three to five years old, Cardenas was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. Cardenas explained that Aspergers is a neurological disorder characterized with difficulties in socializing and/or a lack of motor or speech skills. Cardenas controls the characteristics associated with Aspergers and he attributes his well-being to the support of his parents.

“With my parents finding me the best help possible, I’ve developed into the independent, sociable person I am now,” Cardenas said. “It really doesn’t affect my life that much [and] most would say they would’ve never guessed.”

Cardenas said that he shares his disorder with a select group of trustworthy people but is comfortable enough in himself to not shy away from the subject. He speculates a number of famous creative spirits may share a similar neurological disorder, including the creator of Pokémon.

“I don’t think a ‘normal’ person would think of the things I would,” Cardenas said.

Cardenas said he could not recall a time he wasn’t lost in a world of creativity in art; for as long as he could remember he was developing characters with ink and paper.

Following his passion for animation, Cardenas applied for the BFA Illustration and Animation program twice and was rejected both times. As disheartening as this was, Cardenas did not let the results deter him from his passion in art. Despite a policy allowing applicants to only have two attempts into the program, Cardenas’ animation professor, Aubry Mintz, saw a great promise in him and petitioned Cardenas into the program.

While developing his existing characters in his comics, Cardenas is already mapping out the future to expand his artwork independently. He said he admires illustrators like the creator of the “Bone” comic, Jeff Smith, in publishing independently and not being associated with a major comic developer.

With only one year away until graduating from the program he fought to find a place in, Cardenas said he is humbled by the mounting support of his friends and family.

“Life has never been more fulfilling and happy as it has been now,” Cardenas said. “I’ll face the challenges in life and do them with creativity.”