“Earth to Echo” is a lighthearted family-friendly film

“Earth to Echo” is an enjoyable and charming science fiction film about friendship and an alien robot named Echo who tries to find his way back home.

Mainly younger kids and preteens can relate to this film, and it is also very appropriate for families to watch.  The story is told by Tuck (Brian ‘Astro’ Bradley), a preteen who narrates and records the adventure on video.  There is a shaky motion at times due to the handheld camera, but it isn’t a problem.  It was a unique movie because it reflects how modern society is like today, as a lot of us view life digitally on some sort of handheld device.

The group of friends demonstrates their deep dedication to help Echo get back to his home planet.  Their success suggests that almost anything is possible if friends work together.

The film, directed by David Green, is also a little similar to “E.T.,” Wall-E” and even “Transformers.”  Although “Earth to Echo” is not very original, there are beautiful visuals and special effects that make fill the film with wonder and imagination.

The group of friends, Alex (Teo Halm), Tuck (Brian ‘Astro’ Bradley), Munch (Reese C. Hartwig) and Emma (Ella Wahlestedt), encounter malfunctioning cell phones, which show a map of the desert, leading them to an owl-like robot from space. They name it Echo.

The alien only communicates with the kids using certain noises. They follow clues, like a map that Echo gives, to solve the mystery of why Echo is on Earth.  The group becomes quite attached to Echo.  The overall goal is to protect the alien and help him find his way home, while growing closer to each other.

The film promotes change as a good thing, and emphasizes the idea that it’s the small things that matter and that can make a difference. There are many cute and family-friendly humorous parts throughout, such as the unique mannerisms and reactions of the characters in sequences.

The film is action-packed, while still containing sentimental moments, which make the film a memorable and surprising experience.