CSULB alumnae debut ‘Consider the Match’

“Consider the Match,” an original play written and directed by Cal State University Long Beach alumnae Maggie Boles and Katie Faris, took over Long Beach’s Found Theatre from Aug. 1 through Aug. 3. The play is about two friends who explore the complexities of today’s human life through a series of strange, relatable and philosophical scenarios. Boles said it was “definitely a learning experience” performing in this play with Faris since it’s their first written and directed production that they have performed in. “Katie and I have worked together in a number of… dramatic things,” Boles said. “Sort of like little skits we did in our music department [at CSULB]. But this was sort of the biggest project we’ve ever [tried] to undertake together.” Although they have some experience with skits in the past, Faris said she was still nervous to perform. “It’s a lot of peers… within the artistic community of Long Beach,” Faris said. “That can be a little intimidating sometimes… you feel like you have a little bit of a standard to uphold, whether it’s your own or the one that your community presented.” Boles and Faris said they both met each other at CSULB’s music department as music majors. Faris also said that being part of the music department contributed to developing this play by teaching her how to be “more organized and focused in a rehearsal.” Boles mentioned that her father Eric Boles, an actor, also contributed to the play by guiding them with advice and tips. He said that he is proud of his daughter’s dedication to this project. “She’s been performing for a long time,” he said. “I try to catch as many shows as possible.” Boles said that some of the cast members she and Faris have chosen, such as John May, are people that they have known for quite some time. Even though May has a close bond with some of his cast members, he said he had a “revelation” while working with them. “The talent and intelligence of these people is really staggeringly high,” May said. Besides having a revelation on the acting abilities of his cast members, May said he also discovered something else while working with Boles and Faris. He acknowledged how the young directors are, and how their ambition led them to direct at their first major venue, the Found Theatre. “I learned how a 77-year-old man should take orders from two 25-year-olds,” May said jokingly.