FYF Fest 2014: The Biggest Yet

Every year, thousands of people gather in Los Angeles for what has been dubbed by some the “best weekend of summer;” for many who attended FYF Fest over the weekend, the nickname rang true.

The 11th FYF fest took place on Aug. 23 and 24, and marked a new era for FYF. The event booked some of its biggest acts to date including Interpol, Haim, Earl Sweatshirt and The Strokes.

FYF featured over 50 bands over the course of two days; while it relied heavily on indie acts, it showcased a variety of different genres, from punk to hip-hop and rock.

A long line formed around the block, and fans waited impatiently until the gate opened. The first 2,500 lucky attendees to get inside were treated to a voucher to receive free ice cream and a free tote bag from Cult Records.

There were four stages: The Lawn, The Trees, The Arena and the Main Stage; each stage had a distinct vibe. The Arena hosted mostly EDM artists, on The Lawn played mostly indie bands, Punk played from The Trees and the Main Staged featured big name bands.

Upon entrance, it was obvious that fans would experience a diverse selection of music.

Mariachi El Bronx alter ego of punk band The Bronx, performs traditional Mexican folk music while dressed in charros.
Jesus Ambrosio / Daily 49er
Mariachi El Bronx alter ego of punk band The Bronx performs traditional Mexican folk music at the FYF Festival in Los Angeles on Aug. 23.

Mariachi El Bronx kicked of the fest as soon as people entered at The Lawn. The band was dressed in charro suits and played traditional mariachi music that got the crowd stomping their feet.

Despite the fact that other musicians like Joyce Manor, Connan Mockasi and Slint were playing at other stages when Mariachi El Bronx concluded their set, a majority of the crowd waited for an explosive performance by Man Man.

The lead singer, Honus Honus, shouted and taunted the crowd as he sang songs like “Pink Wonton,” “End Boss,” and “Loot My Body.” Honus Honus became possessed by their chaotic music as the music genres continually shifted.

Other highlights from the first day included synth-pop band Future Islands and ambient music from Tycho.

Despite the quality and quantity of the music at the event, there were some things that were problematic for attendees. One of the most notable was the venue change.

In previous years, FYF was held at Los Angeles Historic Park. This year, FYF called Expo Park and the Los Angeles Sport Arena home. While it is a much bigger venue this time around, the event seemed much more crowded, and it was more difficult to maneuver through the fest. In part, bigger bands might be to blame.

This was most problematic on the first day of the fest. Some people were not allowed to enter the Arena floor as it had reached capacity. It was incredibly difficult and frustrating for fans to miss out on some of their favorite DJs and bands.

The next day, seating that surrounded The Arena was opened, which allowed for a comforting and relaxing experience; however, it was difficult for attendees to dance in their seats.

Haim performs at FYE Festival in Los Angeles on Aug. 24
Jesus Ambrosio / Daily 49er
Haim performs at FYF Festival in Los Angeles on Aug. 24

The second day of the fest ran a lot smoother. Free water was offered throughout the fest until 6 p.m., which was perfect for a day that many people spent drenched in sweat.

Whether they were checking out slacker rock musician Mac Demarco, or in the pit for Joanna Gruesome, no one seemed tired from the previous day.

The festival concluded with music by The Strokes. Fans of the band could be seen staking out a spot at the beginning of the day sporting their favorite t-shirts with the iconic band logo.

The band played a lengthy 16-song set which included the hits like  “Barely Legal,” “Someday,” “12:51,” “You Only Live Once” and “Hard To Explain.”

For their encore, they performed the song “New York City Cops.”

FYF has grown over the years and will only get bigger; despite some of its problems this year, music fans can always look forward to an eclectic line-up and a fun summer weekend.