‘My Everything’ has everything

Ariana Grande returned with her second studio album “My Everything,” and listeners of the release can expect her usual catchy music and lyrics.

Grande started out as an actor on Nickelodeon’s “Victorious;” she eventually pursued her vocal talents.

Her music tends to blend R&B, pop, hip-hop and even funk.

For the most part, the music and vocals combined are alluring for the ears, but it sounds like a typical pop album with somewhat familiar lyrics.

The release could stand out more as it is a similar to a lot of other pop songs played on the radio, however, her unique and powerful vocals is what makes this album strong.

She experimented with different sounds in this album. The release is not a departure from her original sound, but is a fresh similar approach to her previous debut album “Yours Truly.”

The lead single “Problem” was released in April and features Iggy Izalea. “Problem” is a fun and upbeat tune.

There are bouncy lyrics like, “I’m thinkin’ I love the thought of you / More than I love your presence / And the best thing now/ Is probably for you to exit.” The words convey a dismissive attitude, suggesting a burdened feeling that is ready to be free.

Other tracks, like “Best Mistake,” uses interesting metaphors. “Cause if the water dries up and the moon stops shining / Stars fall, and the world goes blind, boy / You know, I’ll be saving my love for you, for you.” The song paints a deep picture. The verses from Big Sean compliment her words.

“Break Free” is an empowering track. “I’m stronger than I’ve been before / This is the part when I break free / ‘Cause I can’t resist it no more.” These lyrics make for a song that makes it seem like she is waking up and escaping a dream. A steady beat throughout, provided by DJ Zedd, makes this song a memorable tune. The ending of the song also builds to an EDM breakdown.

The song that stands out from the rest is “One Last Time” as it is different from the rest of the poppy bunch. It is softer and the music is less intense. It is a satisfying contrast and shows variety in the album.

In “You Don’t Know Me,” she vents about personal problems. “If you want a perfect picture to believe in / Then you can’t be looking for me then / I don’t need to live by your rules, you don’t control me / Until you’ve walked a mile in my shoes, you don’t know me.” The lyrics explore her identity, which seems to be misunderstood.

Fans of Ariana Grande will be pleased to have new tracks to add into their collection. Anyone who appreciates musicians who are able to merge a variety of genres will enjoy this pop album.