Picture this differently

With his Nikon D800, Jesse Lubben begins his process by going on a journey, the adventures often vary from hiking in the mountains to visiting unfamiliar cities.

For the first time his artwork is on display as a solo artist at a photo exhibition called “Photosomatic,” which is on display in the Dr. Maxine Merlino Gallery at Cal State Long Beach.

Lubben, 26, is a senior Fine Arts major with a specialty in photography and has been a student at CSULB for two and a half years.

The La Verne native decided to pursue art with the support of his parents, who are artists.

Lubben creates his images by cutting, folding and sculpting photographic prints from his, which he then re-photographs, sometimes repeating the process several times.

Occasionally, he will draw designs on the back of the photo and distort it into a new compensation to finish his masterpiece. He also designs 3D models on his computer as a reference to how he wants to shape or create something.

He said his biggest influence is American anthropologist, philosopher and natural science writer Loren Eiseley.

Lubben said he hopes that when his viewers see his photographs, they actually think about his photographs and not necessarily think about what is represented. He said he wants the viewer to question his photographs.

“I don’t think, ‘oh, this is just a tree bark on a trail I’m passing,’” Lubben said. “Think about the ideas of chemical reactions and the geological process and all the time that has led this object to be here.”

Lubben said that the most challenging side of his exhibition was creating different illusions that may confuse and intrigue the viewer.

He said that it was a difficult problem to solve because you don’t really know where the edges are. Another challenge he faced was getting the quality to stay after taking picture after picture.

“Sometimes even the most banal object can spark a chain of ideas,” Lubben said. “I can’t help but think about the billions of years of cosmic explosions, dancing particles and chemical reactions that have led up to a massive building erected alongside a river bed or a bundle of chopped bamboo wrapped in twine outside a rundown cottage.”

Lubben said he spent about seven to eight hours to finish each of his artwork. He came up with the term Photosomatic for his exhibition; the prefix “photo” represents the actual photo, and “somatic” representa the wall or body of the structure.

He has also done paintings, drawings and sculptures, but he said he has always been interested in viewing the work as an image at its last stage. He said he enjoys the way photographs interact with the environment.

Lubben said his artwork is structured to question the viewer.

“What, why and how is that environment?” asked Lubben. “This is important in restricting ones perception in an age of immediacy and re-contextualizing it with a contemplation of geological time.”

Lubben’s Photosomatic photo exhibition will be open until Sept. 11 from noon to 5 p.m. at the Dr. Maxine Merlino Gallery.