Marketing student unwraps music talents

Ten years ago LeeAnn Leon purchased her first guitar and wrapped it up for Christmas as a present to herself; years have passed, and she still manages to unwrap her passion for music.

Leon is currently a junior marketing major at Cal State Long Beach. She said one reason she chose that major is because she enjoys the “creative aspect of marketing,” and she likes how “broad and innovative” the field is.

She has performed with guitar at many different places, including the Gerald R. Daniel Recital Hall at CSULB.

Students on campus might see her around as she rides on her skateboard from class to class. Some people that talk to her will realize quickly that she is a calm and friendly person. However, not too many people know about her history with the guitar.

Leon said she has been playing the guitar since she was nine years old. It took her at least four years to master playing the guitar. She also said that her favorite music to listen to is alternative rock.

“My aunt introduced me to rock music,” Leon said. “One of my favorite CDs was [from] ‘Los Lonely Boys.’ After hearing them, I wanted to learn how to play the guitar.”

She said started playing in the school band in 6th grade, and continued to play until the end of her senior year in high school. She said the experience helped her learn how to read music and also how to play songs by ear.

Leon said she enjoys taking some of her favorite pop songs and make an acoustic version out of them with her guitar.

Lately she said she has focused on the melodies of songs written by one her favorite music artists, Charli XCX. Leon will often listen to herself play the guitar in order to try to mimic the same tune of the songs.

Leon may play for her pleasure, but her friends enjoy her talent as well.

“I have known her for eight years,” Gina Choi, a former band member said. “She is great at improvising.”

Her family is also supportive of her talents.

“They went to my shows and small venues that I performed at,” Leon said.

Leon is optimistic about the future and she said she would love to play the guitar for the rest of her life. She also said she would like to become a music artist since she likes performing, but as of now, she is focused on obtaining her degree. There are still many things she hopes she can use her music for as a means of expression.

“I’ve always thought about serenading a guy,” Leon said. “But, I have never done it.”