Pirates invade Shoreline Village

Pirates washed ashore Shoreline Village in Long Beach for the annual Pirate Festival on Sept. 20 and 21.

Pirate actors sang, danced and performed in shows at the event. The two groups of pirates who performed in plays throughout the day were Pirates for Hire and Outlaw Pirates.

There were also balloon artists, face painting and pirate models who took pictures with people in the crowd, such as Captain Hook, Captain Jack Sparrow and Davey Jones look-a-likes.

Ted Shred, an actor, stunt coordinator and exotic animal trainer, said he started the Pirates for Hire group in 1998. The group travels to different states and internationally.  The group owns movie props such as anchors, ship masts with sails, treasure chests and ship wheels.

“We have trained swordfighters, whips, boarding axes, cutlass fighting breakaway bottles, pistol firing, jugglers, puppeteers, pirate magicians and fire manipulation, where I perform fire breathing and fire eating,” Shred said.  “The performances are comedy and action.”

Ashley Howe, who performs as Josephine is an actor for Outlaw Pirates said the shows are mostly about keeping in character to create an authentic experience for audiences.

Outlaw Pirates was interactive with people in attendance as they sang as they walk through the crowds.

“I acted since I was a kid and love interacting with the crowds and seeing kids super excited to see something different in a world that’s too mundane,” Howe said.  “It’s an escape from my regular job and I like how I can wear pirate costumes and be outrageous.”
Kim Donovan, an actor for Pirates for Hire performs as Kitty Lynch, an Irish pirate from Dublin. She said the plays are family-friendly comedic adventures with sword fighting and perform at many events.
“I’ve been an actor since 1995 and like the audience interaction and being a different character than myself,” Donovan said.  “I like how it’s fun and how we’re creative with my group.”

Cassandra Armstrong, an attendee, said her favorites at the event were the sword fighting from Joust Kidding Musicians, who played pirate ballads and other songs.

“This event is different from other Pirate events because it is free-form,” Armstrong said. “I can look at different shows and entertainment going on throughout the day, and I can wear pirate costumes.”

Attendee Reyanna Aguilar said she came to the event again because she enjoyed it last year.

“The kids love it, including my younger sibling,” Aguilar said. “I like the shows because they’re entertaining, and the pirates are friendly and takes pictures with the kids, which makes it fun.”